We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler: not many runs open yet??

California
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whistler: not many runs open yet??

Over at the Whistler websites, it shows that only a few runs are open (well, 30 of about 200). All these runs are basically mid-mountain and I guess I don't understand why more of the mountain isn't open.

Does anyone know if this is because it's considered "early season" right now, or is it in fact because there isn't enough snow? I would have thought that if the mid mountain is open, why not the upper mountain too?

I'm going up there Dec 15 - Dec 22, so I'm concerned!!

Blaine, WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

With over 8,000 acres of skiable terrain, it just isn't economical to open more runs when the demand isn't there. When runs are opened, they have to be groomed, maintained and patrolled so the costs adds up pretty fast.

The snow conditions are good but the season has just started last week and so the low attendance just doesn't justify them opening more runs. Also, don't forget the runs on Blackcombe. By the time you get to whistler/blackcombe in Dec, almost all of the runs should be availabl. Can't wait to get up there myself during the X'mas break!!!!

vancouver bc
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

More of the mountain isn't open because there's only a 39 in. base right now. They had a foot of snow in the last 24 hours though. You should be fine, I think this is going to be an awesome ski season. That's what I'm hoping for anyway as I'll be there from the 17th - 19th. See you on the slopes!

California
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

Hi Subdude!

Any idea how much snow they need to open the lower mountain? We paid a bundle to get accomodation slopeside (woodrun near the base of Blackcomb), and it would be a pity if we still had to walk down to the lifts, then back UP to the accomodation!!!

It seems to be tricky keeping up to date: the whistlerblackcomb site doesn't really seem to update the conditions properly. (EG "no beginner terrain available", yet "childrens learning center and 700 foot magic carpet is open").

I also would have thought that if the mid mountain is open, the upper mountain would be too...but as the first poster says, perhaps thats an econimics thing.

Tallahassee, FL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

I am headed to Whistler Dec 17-24, and I was also concerned about only having 20% of the resort open. I was wondering if anyone on here has previous experience with this, and if anyone can clue me in on how open I can expect the mountain to be in 2 weeks. Thanks in advance for any help! I can't wait.

California
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

Yeah, it's a real concerned as far as I'm (well,) concerned. What I don't understand is their snow reports STILL say downloading is mandoatory, and that ALL of the lower runs are closed (and upper). Yet, when you look at the photos at "mywhistler.com" etc, you can see a LOT of snow at the base and at the village. Today's photo especially: shows people and the base village with a lower run in the background (no one on it), and tons of snow.

I'll be peeved if it turns out our slope side lodging booking was for naught: people book slopeside to ski in and out. Obviously any ski trip is dependant on weather, but my point is if the snow is there, and the lower runs are closed only because of econimics, I think thats unfair.

Economics is an issue, but a chair such as "MERLINS" should be opened as soon as possible, as it services a lot of slopeside lodges and is the ONLY way to ski from Blackcomb base lodges TO the Whistler base.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

There isn't enough snow yet at the higher elevations for the runs to open. But I am sure all the runs will be in operation very soon.

Keith

California
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistler: not many runs open yet??

Looks like 5000 acres are now open (The site doesn't ACTUALLY say that, but says it will open 5000 acres weather dependent).

YAAYY!!!!!

:)