We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery store

Level Contributor
258 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery store

I know there were some questions about grocery stores a little while ago, and I thought I would fill you in on my experience.

As said previously, there is the one called "the grocery store" which is more or less in the middle of Whistler village (I personally didn't go here so can't say much).

There is also marketplace IGA which is in Whistler village north (in the market pavillion). For people staying right at the base of the mountain, it's about a 15 minute walk since it's at the other end. I was at the Delta, right between Whistler village and Whistler village North, and it was a 5 minute walk for me.

I found the marketplace IGA had very good selection and good prices. There are lots of ready made meal options (i.e. bbq chickens and loads of side dishes, and much more). A lot of the stuff is the same price you'd pay at home, some is just a little bit more. I was in Whistler for 4 days and went back to the marketplace IGA 4 times to pick up snacks and meal items, because it was so convenient and good prices.

I had tried stopping at the save-on-foods in Squamish, but it was closed (was after 9pm). In retrospect I wouldn't bother stopping there again next time since the IGA in Whistler had such good selection and decent prices.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery store

I agree, IGA is an excellent grocery store with an amazing selection of appetizers and ready-to-eat meals. The Grocery Store in the central village is less than impressive, both in price and selection. Another very good grocery store is Nesters Market, which is a few minutes' drive north of Whistler Village, on Highway 99.

Squamish also has a Nesters (formerly Marketplace IGA). A cheaper choice in Squamish is Extra Foods, on the right-hand side of Highway 99 as you're driving north. There is also a brand new Wal-Mart in Squamish - not sure of their hours but probably open later than 9:00 a.m.

Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery store

The IGA in Marketplace is a fine supermarket. The Grocery Store is also an excellent store. Maybe 1/3 the size, but they do a great job of carrying items that are of use to people visiting Whistler Village.

BTW, I suspect the "Delta" you stayed at was the Delta Whistler Village Suites, and not the Delta Hotel that's right near the Whistler gondola (or did that one change hands and name?).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery store

The only reason to shop at "the grocery store" is for a quick snack if you've had a hard day skiinga and don't want to walk to Marketplace. Otherwise, IGA wins on selection and price, hands down! Also, i think you'll find the liquor store located on the opposite side on Marketplace to IGA is cheaper than the liquor store next to "the grocery store". After all, we all need a cold beer after a big powder day!

4. Re: Grocery store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 26, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question