We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
218 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

We (4 adults) are flying into Victoria airport on Thursday July 26th about noon. We are spending one night in Victoria and then will travel to Vancouver to depart on an Alaskan cruise. We will need to be at the Ballantyne pier by 3 pm on Friday.

We are going to rent a car at the Vicoria airport and sight see. Our plan on Friday is to drop 3 people and the luggage off at Swartz Bay. Then have one person return the rental car to the airport and take a taxi to Swartz Bay to catch the ferry with the other 3. When we arrive at Tsawwassen, we plan to take a taxi to the Ballantyne pier for the cruise. We will have a fair amount of luggage with us, so I don't think that buses are a good option. We plan on catching the noon ferry at Swartz Bay.

I have several questions. First of all, is this a workable plan?

Is there a better way to do this?

Will we have any trouble getting a taxi at either the airport or at Tsawwassen?

Will the noon ferry give us enough time to be at the Ballantyne pier by 3 pm?

Thanks for your help.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

I don't know the Victoria airport at all so can't help you there-should be easy to rent a car though-might be easier to cab to your hotel-look for a van in the taxi lineup.

If you have as much luggage as you say then you'll need two cabs to get to Ballantyne Pier from Tsawwassen-figure $50-75 apiece.

Failing that catch the bus from downtown Victoria-there's lots of room for luggage under the bus-and cab it from the downtown bus station in Vancouver to Ballantyne.

In theory the noon ferry should be fine-long time BC travellers always allow lots of time while travelling with BC Ferries-delays are endemic-the company is a shambles and a disgrace.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

First of all, what are you planning on seeing in Victoria? You don't usually need a car to sightsee as everything except Butchart Gardens is in or near the Inner Harbour. Although it's nice to come and go as you please as well. You could get a shuttle to your hotel and rent a car downtown if you still wanted one.

You shouldn't have a problem getting a taxi at the airport. I don't know about the ferry as I've never tried.

I'd definatly catch an earlier ferry. You'd have to be at the ferry by 11:45am as walk-ons. It takes 1 hour and 35 mins to cross and about a half hour to get off and get your luggage and then you still need to get to the pier. That'll make it about 2pm before you are leaving the ferry terminal to get to the pier. I'd also take the PCL bus from the ferry to the Vancouver bus station and cab it from there. Mind you, with four people the bus may be just as costly. Try finding a taxi van or even calling and reserving one. I don't know if Vancouver cab companies do this, but the ones in Victoria do. You can also catch the PCL downtown Victoria if you choose to forgo the car rental. Here's their website for more info: http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

Being a long time Victoria resident I would suggest that your group

taxi (or hotel shuttle) into Victoria from the airport. There are so many neat things to do and see right in the harbour area that you should not need a rental car at all, especially if you are only staying one night. The Pacific Coach Lines bus operates a daily bus service that leaves Victoria at 9:45 daily in the summer (check in at 9:15) and that will get you right to the cruise ship pier by 1:45. The cost is about $42 each with way less hassle for all. This seems like your easiest plan. Enjoy!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

I have taken the Pacific Coach Lines bus to Ballantyne Pier. It is, by far, the best option. No hassles, and when you arrive at the Pier, you don't even have to handle your luggage - the porters will be right there to pick it up from the bus.

If you really want to rent a car while in Victoria (although as the previous poster said, a car isn't necessary), I would take the shuttle from the airport and rent a car once you arrive in downtown Victoria. Rentals are cheaper in town than at the airport.

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

Thanks for everybody's help. It looks like Pacific Coach Lines is the way to go. Thanks again.

jmf4

6. Re: Victoria to Vancouver Ballantyne pier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, August 27, 2009