We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping for meals?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping for meals?

Is tipping the same as the USA?

What is the percentage given for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and to whom does one tip?

Thank you so much.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping for meals?

This topic is debated alot but generally 15 - 20% for good service,10% mediocre service and nothing for poor or bad service.You would tip your server

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping for meals?

If you've been to the USA, then tipping in Canada is the same.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping for meals?

Thank you!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,678 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping for meals?

US tourists are considered big tippers in Canada and much sought after by waiters.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping for meals?

I usually use the 6% GST as a means of of calculating the tip... double it for a so-so tip, triple it for a better one.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping for meals?

Thanks for all the advice!

We are staying at a hotel in the Harbour . How much tip for the maid?

I think we are paying $110.00 USD per day.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,678 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping for meals?

I never tip chambermaids and I've spent hundreds of nights in hotels. Others tip up to $5/day.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping for meals?

My daughter and I been having ongoing discussions about tipping counter people in coffee shops, pizza shops or similar casual restaurants where you order at the till and then come collect your food when it comes up. (Sometimes the counter staff will bring it to you, and they do clean up the table after you leave.) I have noticed the proliferation of tip jars sitting at the till at these places, but quite frankly, it never occured to me before to tip them... they're just doing their job, right? Isn't it up to the employer to pay them a decent wage, rather than the customer being expected to tip? (or alternatively, isn't it up to the worker to get themselves better employment skills if they are not satisfied with the rate of pay they are getting?) That is/was my thinking anyway, but she tells me that "most" people now tip in these situations, and with most of these positions paying minimum wage or only slightly above, she and her fellow counter persons depend on - and expect - the extra they earn from tips.

Mind you, I also have difficulty with this scenario as it relates to this particular restaurant in particular because the employer in question does not pay overtime as is required by the provincial labour standards and none of the employees can be bothered to raise the issue with him. It seems to me that what is happening here is that the employer's responsibility to pay his staff a fair wage is being shifted to the customer, with the very real possibility that the employees are the ones getting shafted while the employer is making a decent living from the place.

So, just putting this out there... what do you think about tipping cashiers/counter people?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping for meals?

Do you think the owners take a portion of the tip jars too?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping for meals?

I'll tip Cashiers/Counter people in places I frequent regularly-if they're friendly & efficient.

Get answers to your questions about Victoria