We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
40th ANNIV. train across Canada

I've made several revisions to our June 2007 VIA RAIL trip, based on your great input. So now, we arrive in Vancouver BC @ 7:30am on the 15th of June. Our plan is to head for Victoria right away. We will want to have a car in Victoria so ??? can we rent a car in Victoria or do we need to ferry one across from Vancouver??

If we can get car in Vancouver, which Ferry do we take so we can arrive close to car rental place???

We have a lot of info from threads regarding hotels/B&B's/restaurants in Victoria and I'm leaning toward the Llamma farm B & B, or Abigails, any input????).

We have decides to skip Seattle and Oregon this trip, as previously planned, so will be taking Coast Starlight to Emeryville, where we have to depart on AMTRAK at 9am 6/21.

From your threads it appears that the Coastal is sometimes late so I'm leaning toward getting to Emeryville the day before, can't afford to miss our connection. Good idea or am I being over-cautious??

If you agree with this plan, that would give us from the 15th to the 19th in the Vancouver/Victoria area. ???? Three days in Victoria then one day in Vancouver and leave from there????

(OR) spend arrival day and night in Vancouver, cross over to Victoria on 16th, spend three days nights in Victoria then Ferry across to Seattle and train it from there??? or go back across to Vancouver and head out from there???

Appreciate the input!!!!!

Healthone

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Abigals, nice and central.

I wouldn't rent a car in Vancouver and ferry it across as ferry is exspensive for cars, and once in Victoria you don't reall need a car. You could rent one for a day once there if you want to see outlying areas or take a run up island to Parksville etc for the day.

Once in Victoria , if you stay at Abigals you can walk to most attractions( Inner Harbour, Empress, Royal Museam, Parliment Buildings, even Beaconhill Park and Dallas road beaches) and then perhpas either rent the car to go to Buchard Gardens( yes a must see) or take a bus tour.

Take a bus from Vancouver to Victoria, Greyline I believe. Bus arrives right downtown Victoria, you could walk to Abigals or take a cheap taxi ride if you have lots of luggage, shouldn't be more then 5 or 6 bucks including a tip.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,808 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

as far as Amtrak is concerned you can log on to their website and check train arrival times in Emmeryville. Just pretend you are checking for on time arrivals. If you do it for a while you will get a sense of how on time the train actually arrives in Emeryville. You can take the Victoria Clipper directly back to Seattle to catch the train, but you will most likely still need to be in Seattle the nite before. You may want to ask Amtrak if they can arrange transportation from Victoria as I know they show Victoria on their time schedule, though obviously they don't go there. You could also take the train from Vancouver to "Seattle which is vetry scenic and leaves around 6 pm coming into Seattle around 10 pm. If you choose any downtown hotel you will be very close to the Amtrak station for the morniing Coast Starlight.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Gosh, sorry can't type or spell today apparently, I sure wish this site had edit functions.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Thanks David and Joan,

We'll forget the car rental in Victoria. I think if we leave a day early and stay in Vancouver or Seattle we can prevent a late arrival by train to Emeryville.

Any other suggestions in Downtown Victoria besides Abigails? Hotels or Lodge or B & B.

Healthone

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

What are you looking for in a hotel? Abigail's is pretty well located and includes breakfast.. I have stayed at Delta Ocean Pointe and Laurel Point Inn, both were fine but are larger hotels.. not as personal. Royal Scot Suites gets high marks on this site but I haven't stayed there so can't recommend. Most b&b's are not right in the downtown area. Are you looking for central or do you not mind being a ways out of walking distance to attractions? certain budget range? with this info you may get more recommendations.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Traveller47

Looking for places to stay that are interesting, have character, older with traditional ambience, castle-like if you will. Budget @ $200/night or less is better. Thanks.

Healthone

Vancouver Island
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

I have stayed at quite a few Victoria hotels. If you like to take a hottub and a swim after a day touring the city, I recommend the Coast Harbourside. It is about a 10 min walk from the Inner Harbour but has a wonderful walking path. The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool (very large) and is equipped with a wheelchair lift for those requiring it. Great customer service and they also have a complimentary shuttle to downtown. A cab ride back to the hotel from the Inner Harbour area was about 5 dollars and that's what it would cost (approx) to get from the Victoria bus depot to the hotel. The hotel is right on the ocaean and it is worthwhile to pay the extra for the superior room. You then get a ocean view and the nice thick robes. The restaurant has the best french toast! It is also well known for it's seafood. If you book at Expedia.ca the price for a Superior harbourview with King or Queen bed is $165/night during your time frame and a standard double is $145. Oh you can also catch the Harbour Taxi just outside the hotel as well.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Mommamania2006

Sorry to reply so late. Our travel agent is looking into the Coast Harbourside. It sounds nice.

Thanks,

Healthone

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

If you have a budget for $200 a night and you're looking for something with character, the English Inn Resort might be to your liking. I stayed there a few years ago and loved it. It's not right downtown however, but it's a short walk away from a water taxi that takes you right into downtown.

www.englishinnresort.com is their website.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40th ANNIV. train across Canada

Thanks BC Robin but we won't have a car and I see this Inn is @ 2 miles from downtown and Harbour.

Healthone