We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching by Kayak in Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Whale Watching by Kayak in Victoria

Hello All, I've seen a number of outfits in the San Juans that offer half day guided whale watching excursions by kayak. I've only seen them by zodiac/sailboat/large watercraft out of Victoria. It seems like the ferries between Victoria/Sidney and the San Juans get pretty sparse once we get into September, so I'd like to just stay in Victoria or possibly Salt Spring. Does anyone know who might offer this service? Thanks for your help!

Edited: 4:11 pm, August 14, 2013
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching by Kayak in Victoria

It's not at all common to see Orcas from a kayak-certainly a company can offer tours featuring such an activity but their success rate is of necessity rather low.

So you could say that Canadian companies are more honest not offering something that's so chancy.

Park City, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching by Kayak in Victoria

Thanks for the feedback, Sam. I guess I just had my hopes up after reading reviews for Discovery Sea Kayak in Friday Harbor (tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS). It seems like at least 50% report seeing Orcas. Is there nothing comparable near Victoria?

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching by Kayak in Victoria

i am definitely not an expert on this, but here goes anyway. most of the Victoria whale watching vessels head east to the southern gulf islands & northwestern san juan islands to find and watch whales. yes, they can be seen in the strait of juan de fuca right off victoria, but usually not close to shore - ie., in places where one should not kayak. if you had your own kayak you could just put in off saturna or south pender and likely see orca, but for commercial viewing you probably are looking at san juan. just make sure you are prepared for some fairly rough water to get anywhere near the orca.

4. Re: Whale Watching by Kayak in Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 17, 2014