We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

Our Princess cruise stops for just a few evening hours in Victoria. I thought it would be fun to walk around the Inner Harbour area, where, as I understand it, there's lots of street theater and activity. With so little time, I thought we would have the attitude of simply exploring and letting fate lead the way. That said, is it worth the time to walk to Inner Harbour, or should we take a shuttle from the ship and spend all our time at Inner Harbour, itself? Should we purchase the shuttle tickets in advance for $9 from Princess, or will we be sorry that we didn't use some other form of transportation? Princess says that advance purchase avoids long lines at the dock, but it also traps you into one form of transport. Also, any suggestion for places we "must" try would be welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Inner Harbour
Inner Harbour
4,459 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

Hi MarGar ~

How many hours? what day?

It is fairly easy to walk from the cruise ship pier to the Inner harbour where the buskers are. Here's the map by Mr. Google:

http://goo.gl/maps/Hf6VT

You can take any of those streets through James Bay, one of the older neighbourhoods of Victoria. You could head off as the blue line suggests to Laurel Point Park right to the water and the pathway along the harbour's edge. Walking would take 25 minutes or so.

If you are coming on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, consider visiting the Royal BC Museum, which is open until 10 those nights. It has interesting exhibits of our early mining, fishing and pioneer days, as well as Frist Nations life. There is a very extensive gift shop that would be worth a look.

http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

And where balloon B is on that map is where the causeway at the Inner Harbour is, with all the buskers, magicians and artists. As well if you continue up Government St beyond balloon B, you can browse in the shops. Stop in to Rogers Chocolates for an ice cream and some chocolates. Munro's Books is further up and is a unique bookstore, with wooden shelves. Like a wonderful old fashioned hardware store, IMO.

http://munrobooks.com/

victoriabcmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/20…

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Royal BC Museum
Royal BC Museum
6,040 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

We'll be in Victoria on Saturday, July 20, from 7PM to midnight. It sounds like the walk is really interesting, so we'll plan on walking out to the museum and then to the Inner Harbour area, and check out the sites you suggested. My husband and I like book stores, so we'll definitely check out Monro's Books! I think we'll go ahead and buy the shuttle tickets in advance, so we'll be able to stay out as late as possible while knowing we have our ride back planned.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

I just checked your link to the museum. It's not expensive if you're going to spend the day, but is it worth it if we only have an hour or so to spend there? I think that's all we'd be able to do, since we really want to make sure we get to the Inner Harbour area.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

Well, you might do what's more important to you first and if you have time for the Museum, then take it in. The Inner Harbour is pretty after dark with all the lights glimmering, so maybe that would be enough. If it is raining, then you have it as backup.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

The walk through the James Bay area is not bad at all - I would recommend taking a walk and enjoying the beautiful homes, gardens and scenery. We walked from the pier to downtown and it took us about 15 minutes at a leisurely pace. I would save the $9 per person for a dinner at the Harbour.

You can walk there and back and take different routes - definitely stop by the Fisherman's Wharf - it's a cute little floating community that has private residences as well as restaurants (not sure how late they are open).

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
3,377 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

The James Bay neighbourhood is one of my favourites! Glad your visit worked out for you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

I agree with making a very slight detour to stop at Fisherman's Wharf. The floathouse community is so cool! Plus great fish & chips and an ice cream parlor! and you'll see the wild seals hanging out waiting for someone to feed them... I would only go to the museum on a rainy day.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
3,377 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

Thanks for all your great ideas everyone! Our cruise starts on Sunday! I can't wait! I'll let you know how it goes.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

I just wanted to follow up with everyone and say we had a WONDERFUL time in Victoria. We walked to Fisherman's Wharf by way of James Bay and saw all the adorable cottage houses. At the wharf, we saw the floating community (I would LOVE to live there and just sit out on the balcony all day!), and there was a seal poking his head out of the water just a few feet from the pier. Our only regret: we had already eaten our dinner on the ship, since it was our last night on board and we wanted to join our friends at dinner. The food smells on the wharf were amazing, but we were too full to eat anything else! At the suggestion of the cruise shuttle driver (I had talked to him prior to our walk so we'd know where to catch the shuttle back to the ship) we went on a little water taxi across the bay to Inner Harbor and the tent market. I loved all the artisans and bought several lovely fused glass pieces of jewelry. The surprise of the trip was the street theater. It was NOT normal street theater, it was more like highly skilled circus performers who have been doing this all there lives. It wasn't until we came back to the ship that night that we learned from our friends (who had gone on the city tour) that there was a street theater FESTIVAL that weekend!!!! It was incredible to see guys juggling fire while making us laugh hysterically. They were all wonderfu! As you all said, the lights of the buildings were spectacular. We also happened to walk into the Convention Center that is next to the Empress Hotel. I particularly loved the indoor garden in there. We then took the Princess shuttle back to the boat. Surprisingly, I was very impressed with the little gift shop on the pier in front of our ship. It had some really lovely items and I bought a ceramic kitty for my husband from my onboard blackjack winnings :-) All in all, it may have been a short stay in port, but it was a fantastic evening. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
3,377 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking in Victoria on short cruise stop

Thanks for letting us know how you made out. I'm glad to know you had a good time. I love the little harbour ferry.

You might be interested to know that "those adorable cottage houses" were built from 1900 on and were home to typical families of 4-6. What would you guesstimate ... about 800-900 square feet in all? Those were the days.