We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's been a long time - Ferry

edmonton
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
It's been a long time - Ferry

We are planning a few day trip to Vancouver and Victoria (I'm from Edmonton). We are going to be walking on the Ferry in Tswassen (sp?) and picking up a rental car near Swartz Bay.

Question: Would it be a long wait for walk-on traffic for the first Ferry on a Sunday morning? I've walked on but I can't remember if we waited for multiple Ferries. Also does the Ferry offer bagage checking?

Thanks

Josh

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: It's been a long time - Ferry

Walk on is just that-the Ferry arrives-having paid your fare-you are waved onto the waiting ship.

Been driving on of late-there used to be luggage check.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's been a long time - Ferry

Believe it or not, I have been the victim of a sailing wait as a walk on passenger. It was peak season, mid-morning, walking on at Tsawassen, heading to Schwartz Bay. I was pretty surprised - we were there about 1/2 hr before the sailing went, but I guess once they get all the reserved cars on there, they only have a certain capacity for foot passengers. So us car-less folks get the shaft!!! I don't think you can even reserve a spot for yourself as a foot passenger, can you? But like I mentioned, it was the absolute busiest time - I'm 99% sure that for the first ferry on a Sunday, unless there are cancellations due to mechanical problems or weather conditions (rare), you'll be just fine as a walk on - a lot more likely to get on than a car (not to mention the extra wad of cash you'll be able to keep your hands on). Its the very beginning and very end of weekends that clogs up the most.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's been a long time - Ferry

And yes there is a luggage check - not sure if there's a cost/how much. Check www.bcferries.bc.ca to double check.

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: It's been a long time - Ferry

Wow, I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have walked on the ferry and I have never had a sailing wait (even when there were multiple sailing waits for vehicles). I guess I have just been lucky!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: It's been a long time - Ferry

It's true that there 'may' be a wait for walk ons-has to do with Transport Canada regulations -each crew member is responsible for so many bodies in case of emergency and when the body count maxes out you wait.

Quite rare on Mainland-VI routes though-the Gulf Islands is another story-don't ask-and NO you can't reserve a spot although they ask you to phone and let them know you're coming(!)

First thing in the AM it won't happen though.

6. Re: It's been a long time - Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 15, 2009