We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

philadelphia
Level Contributor
368 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

I feel badly as you helpful people are probably answering the same question over and over - so I apologize for this question.

I was in Victoria years ago - we stayed near the Empress Hotel - is this downtown area? I want to go from Vancouver to that area and enjoy a day in that adorable area. The time we were there, there were colorful bears all around - cute little shops and restaurants. We watched fireworks from the shore. I read on one of the many responses here on the forum that many people don't realize how big Victoria is - and I want to be sure the ferry from Vancouver drops us at this port. Last time I visited, we came from Seattle so I'm not sure. I don't want to take another bus from where the ferry lets out.

So I'm respectfully asking for a clear idea of which ferry goes from downtown Vancouver directly to the part of Victoria I want to visit - or if this isn't possible.

Thank you so much for your time.

Ellen

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,571 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

Yes, its a fundraising initiative. We've had the bears, the orcas and I'm sure there was something else another year. Donors purchase the figures and then get an artist to paint them, then they are around town for a few weeks before they are auctioned off, so you do see them around where the final owners have placed them.

One of the bears lives outside the Place Des Arts in Coquitlam

http://goo.gl/maps/qHQ0q

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

I like taking the ferry as I enjoy going to the Island with the car and it's a scenic route. What is fun and worth it by your criteria?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,248 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

I don't think I'd say the ferry was " fun" . It's cheaper than flying, the route is scenic, it's efficient and well run. ...it's also time consuming. For me the " fun" way to get to Victoria is either Helijet or Harbor Air flight downtown to downtown...fast, scenic and thrilling!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

Agreed, Harbour Air's seaplanes are fun. That is absolutely fun. I haven't taken Helijet yet, but a friend of mine works for them and hopefully one day soon I'll get to check that out. The ferries over to Victoria are fun in their own way, but it is a significant journey. You're looking at 8 hours of travelling there and back just for one afternoon. It's a long day.

Note - I was writing a few responses to people saying that Vancouver is much bigger than people anticipate. Victoria's small.

Edited: 4:36 pm, April 18, 2013
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

just in case it's not clear from the earlier posts, there is no ferry from Vancouver itself to Victoria itself. To go from Vancouver, you have to travel to the ferry terminal at Tsawwassen, about 45 min south of downtown Vanc. The ferry does not arrive in Victoria itself but at Swartz Bay, about 35 min north of downtown Vic. So if "downtown to downtown" for a quick day trip is your plan, the seaplane/helijet makes more sense; you don't want to spend 8 hrs travelling (altho if you do have the time, the ferry trip from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay is lovely). Many years ago the CPR Ferry system - now long gone - had ships that DID sail from downtown to downtown; the service was apparently legendary!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,248 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

East. You brought back memories. ;). We used to take the 3am CP ferry from downtown Vancouver to Nanaimo...once off the ferry we'd hightail it to French Creek Marina just north of Parksville, rent a small boat and be out fishing by first light. Nothing like bucktailing for coho in the early dawn! That ferry took the rail cars from the downtown rail yards where the convention centre is now.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

The ferry ride is beautiful. You travel through the Gulf Islands and Active Pass. Make sure you get out on deck, and you may get to see some orcas and or seals. No guarantees of course. You could always use the ferry one way, then fly back. Of course, that is assuming you won't be renting a car!

Walking on the ferry is about 15.00. The car would be lots more. If you choose to use Pacific Coach, it is more convenient. Also, if I remember correctly, there is one that actually drops you off at Butchart Gardens for a while before heading to the ferry terminal. Must check that out....

Edited: 1:51 pm, April 19, 2013
Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

Wow, traveller. You're dating yourself for sure. We now live 5 minutes from the marina at French Creek - it probably hasn't changed nearly as much as downtown Vancouver since you were taking the CP ferry :-)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,248 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

Robinsegg. There's a readon my TA name has that 47 in it. LOL. I still love the area round French Creek. Alas haven't fished there in years.

20. Re: Ferry link Vancouver to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Victoria