We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

Our family of 5 (kids 9, 4, 1) will be in Victoria for the summer. We travel frequently with the kids for long periods and we generally prefer to be in a condo in the middle of everything. We like to be able to walk to parks, playgrounds, restaurants, shopping, coffee shops, etc. so that we really feel like we've lived there.

We are looking for a rental in Victoria and have been focusing on the downtown area, close to inner harbor and Empress Hotel, but I would love some advice from those with knowlege! Is there a reason why we shouldn't stay right downtown for that length of time? Some have mentioned that we should try James Bay or across the harbor. I want to be able to walk downstairs to a restaurant, market, or coffee shop with the kids and be back at the condo quickly for naps if necessary.

We will have our car if needed, but will plan to use public transit as much as possible when walking is not an option. Given all this information, please feel free to punch holes in my current theories...

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

My best recommendations for you is either Downtown or James Bay.

Both wil give you access to fun and enjoyable attractions for the family and will be just a short walk away from your comfort ammenities like coffee shops, restaurants and so on...

Living Downtown, I always found myself walking to the James Bay and Fisherman's Wharf area, because it's just so beautiful quiet and fun! It's a very family friendly area.

Definitely visit "Beacon Hill Park" with the kids and visit the market area by the Empress Hotel in the Summer. They usually have lots of street entertainment and beautiful sailboats pulling in. There are often lots of festivals that take place around that area as well.

Let me know if you would like to know anything else.

Have fun!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

Thanks so much for your suggestions! We have secured a place to stay in the Falls downtown and we're very excited about our stay in Victoria this summer!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

If you are going to the Beacon Hill Petting zoo or going for a walk along Dallas road you might want to stop at the Beacon Drive in for a frozen ice cream treat. Our kids loved this stop in our day whenever we were visiting.

Sometimes the lineup can be long and you might wait over twenty minutes.

We were there in October and still had to stop for a milkshake and a cone.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g154945-d7…

The Cook street village playground is great for energetic little kids too.

victoria.ca/EN/main/departments/parks-rec-cu…

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

OOOHH...more good ideas. We will definitely be in line at the Beacon Drive in for ice cream! Thanks! Always looking for great stuff for the kids to do when we're away. :o)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,587 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

I live here and personally , you need a car if grocery shopping for a family of 5 unless you like paying tons for food at the few small markets downtown.. also so much to see and do and a car makes sense.

Finally,, out bus system is not super , many routes run every 20 minutes only during rush time, some connections do not connect, and waiting 30 minutes is more then norm then not..

My 16 yr old takes bus home from school. I drive her in them morning. Drive time is less then 15 mintues, bus time is almost an hour , more if she misses connections..

I would rent a car.. this isn't a village so every thing is not walkable, but we also not like a big city with easy frequent bus service..

Plus there is so much for you to take kids to do and see, Willows beach( which you could bus to) Mt Doug ( great view of Victoria , you can drive to top) Mt Doug beach, Matticks farm for mini golf, Elk Lake for swimming, you have to take kids to lake if its hot, our ocean is too cold to swim in)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

Thank you for these GREAT ideas. We will have a car, whereas we are driving across the US to get to Victoria. My husband is a professional photographer, so I really appreciate the locations advice, whereas he keeps a list of place to go an take family photos. Anyone out there know any photographers that have great locations they take their clients?

Best,

April&Steve

17. Re: Summer in Victoria with 3 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 26, 2014