We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does Smoke Free property mean?

Alert Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
What does Smoke Free property mean?

Can anyone tell me what hotels/motels mean when they list "A smoke free property" in their advertisment discription? Does this mean anywhere on the property and/or room balcony? or does this mean Non-smoking room?

Thanks so much

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

>> Does this mean anywhere on the property and/or room balcony?

Yes, it can. If you read the bit you have to sign on the registration form carefully, at some places it will stipulate that you cannot smoke on balconies or anywhere on the property.

Edited: 3:14 am, September 11, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

If a property declares itself smoke free it generally means, at a minimum, that you will not be permitted to smoke anywhere inside the building, on a balcony or within 3 metres outside of the building. Many properties have more stringent rules and will include all of their grounds as well. If you have any specific concerns about a property you are interested in staying at, you should speak directly with them.

British Columbia legislation requires that if you declare a hotel room a non-smoking room that you are not permitted to allow anyone to smoke within a minimum of 3 metres of any door, window or vent. This legislation is intended to safeguard employee health.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

Just employees? Maybe non smoking guests and those with allergies as well?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,713 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

It was workplace safety and employer liability that got the stricter laws put in place. Before, when, for instance, a restaurant could choose to allow smoking, sure they might alienate some customers... but that was their choice. But the employees didn't have a choice and were working in a hazardous environment - and the hazard is totally preventable. What was that woman's name, the one who did the anti-smoking public service ads... she was a lifelong non-smoker but died of lung cancer, which was determined to be from working in a smoky restaurant for umpteen years.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

I remember that story! I see that her name is Heather Crowe. The article in the following link is not the best for content, but does have a photo of her.

http://www.smoke-free.ca/heathercrowe/faq.htm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

It means no cigarettes are to be smoked anywhere in the hotel.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

or on the grounds of the hotel , it says "smoke free property" not non smoking hotel. BUT how strictly it is enforced is something else.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

…gov.on.ca/en/…hotels_motels_inns.asp

Throwing all speculation to the winds, the above link explains the hotel smoking laws in Ontario.

Mentioned in this post
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

Well it doesn't exactly throw all speculation to the winds, because British Columbia may be different.. each province got to draft their own laws and when and how they apply didn't they?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does Smoke Free property mean?

joan1, thank you for noticing that. I can't remember now why I thought I was on the Toronto forum.

Here are the BC laws about smoking:

www.health.gov.bc.ca/tobacco/communities.html

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada