We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
200 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

Is it possible to do a day trip from Victoria to Orcas? I'm searching ferry schedules, but without luck. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

I assume you are talking about Orcas Island. If that is the case you need to go to Anacortes (go through customs) then from there to the Orcas Island.

Edited: 1:13 pm, August 19, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,247 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

North of Victoria is a small town called Sidney which has Washington state ferries that go to San Juan Island, but I think the schedule's ferry limited, and I don't think it goes to Orcas. Look it up.

You could, however, much more easily do a day trip to one of the Gulf Islands like Saltspring. The Gulf Islands and the San Juan Islands are a part of the same island chain - it's just that they have different names depending on what side of the border you're on. North of Victoria is the Swartz Bay ferry terminal where you can catch the BC Ferries over to the Gulf Islands.

www.bcferries.com

Otherwise, you can't really access the San Juan Islands easily from Canada. They're served from the Washington state mainland.

Edited: 3:01 pm, August 19, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,407 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

The WA State ferry goes from Sidney (north of Victoria) to Anacortes. Their one San Juan Islands stop is Friday Harbour. The only choice is the 5h55 pm departure from Sidney, arriving Friday Harbour at 7h25 pm. You then would have to hop on other ferries to travel inter-island the next day. US and CAD Customs are located at Sidney.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
200 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

Thank you for the input! I suspect we'll end up doing the Gulf Isands, which is great too. We used to visit Orcas when our kids were growing up...but darn you can't do it for just a day. Next trip!

Thanks again!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
146 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

I'm not 100% sure but what I think you can do is catch the WSF in Sidney BC and go to Friday Harbor. From Friday Harbor you can catch a ferry to Orcas Island. It"s impossible to do a round trip in a day and actually would require three days all together in order to go back and forth.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

The Gulf Islands are lovely and I'm sure you'll find they have a similar feel to the San Juans, without all the hassles with customs. The ferries to the Gulf Islands run much more regularly, making a day trip quite doable.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
200 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

Thanks for all of the input. Everything about British Columbia is lovely! We're looking forward to our trip.

8. Re: Victoria to Orcas for day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 22, 2013