We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beacon Hill Park

Iowa
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Topic
Beacon Hill Park

We are staying at the Grand Pacific. My 85 year old mother will be with us and for her age she gets around really well (goes on daily walks) However - she is 85.

My wife and teenage son plan on doing Kelp Kayak -- and I don't think this would be a very good option for her? So I was thinking about Beacon Hill Park while they are out doing the Kayak.

We won't have a car and it looks like it is about a mile to the park itself. Would you suggest taking a taxi to get there? And than what - is there a way to tour it without walking a whole lot? And do you think this is something a Senior would enjoy?

Ocean River Sports
Gear Rentals, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Victoria Kayak
Gear Rentals, Kayaking & Canoeing
Victoria Waterfront Tours
Gear Rentals, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,545 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beacon Hill Park

Hi jayhawk ~

Hmmm. I'm not sure about Beacon Hill Park without a car for someone that age. The walk from the GP Hotel will be slightly uphill to the park. And at walking speed for a less than average walker, could take about 14-20 minutes. Beacon Hill Park itself is quite large and the trails can be hilly in many areas. So bottom line, I would not suggest walking Beacon Hill Park.

Horse drawn carriages from 30 meters from the GP at Menzies St. do meander through the Park. I believe they are licensed to certain roads/routes, but something might be negotiated. That might be an idea.

Taking a taxi to the Children's petting zoo (balloon B), then walking 5 minutes to Goodacre Lake (C) might be doable, then a taxi back. The Lake area is just beautiful, complete with cranes nesting in the trees around it. Lots of benches to sit on around there.

It appears as though bus #27 and 30 would take you within steps of the hotel to Douglas St. right beside Goodacre Lake. That would cost $2.50 for an adult. No idea how much for a senior. I hope the Victoria local posters will help you out with the busses. Transit Info: 250.382.6161 or transitinfo@bctransit.com

Here's the map. Switch back and forth between the car icon and the pedestrian icon, and click on the Satellite setting to see the lay of the land:

http://goo.gl/maps/raLf

Also, it might be an idea to pack a box lunch and sit on a bench or picnic table in the shade of a spreading tree and just let the Park come to you.

I would also suggest considering taking a taxi right to Dallas Road and walking the waterfront pathway there. Mile 0 of the Trans Canada Highway is along there someway. Can get pretty windy on the headlands though.

Edited: 5:33 pm, July 06, 2012
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beacon Hill Park

Beacon Hill park is beautiful and I'm sure your mother will enjoy it. As the previous poster suggested, a horse drawn carriage tour of the park could start right in front of the hotel.

Your mother might also enjoy walking through the Empress hotel (across the street) and going there for tea. The gardens there are beautiful as well.

There are guided tours of the legislature that she could do easily. This is right next to your hotel.

If you don't mind going further away, you could take a day trip to Butchart gardens. You can book this bus tour through your hotel. The bus trip there will be about 30 min each way.

You could take a taxi to Abkazi gardens, and I think they have a tea house there.

I'm sure your mother won't get board! There is so much to do right outside your hotel that she can easily walk to.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beacon Hill Park

Take the horse drawn carriage, she would love it.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beacon Hill Park

If you need a pick-me-up while in Beacon Hill Park, stop at the Beacon Drive in for an ice cream.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beacon Hill Park

Have an ice cream cone, the horse drawn carriage will stop there, maybe I am a little bias, but I am from Clover Point, and Beacon Hill Park was my daily playground, when I come back to Victoria I do what everyone is already suggesting you do, carriage ride, park, ice cream, its like having a limo driver the right way;)

6. Re: Beacon Hill Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, July 09, 2013