We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Anniversary Advice Please

Poynette, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
More Anniversary Advice Please

My wife and I will be celebrating our 40th anniversary in Sept. We are looking at the "Sunshine Coast/Vancouver Island" auto trip. Having approx. one week to travel and having not been to this area before, we were wondering if we should book our hotels beforehand? We thought we would potentially use the guidelines as given on the Canada website for points of interest. We have used tripadvisor for numerous trips and everyone has been extremely helpful.

Victoria BC Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Anniversary Advice Please

While September is not quite as busy as July or August it is still somewhat busy (at least both in Victoria and Vancouver) and if it were me, I'd make hotel reservations in advance.

I'm in my mid 40s now and my travelling style has probably gotten a bit more picky - wanting certain amenties, services, location etc.

When I was in my early 20s and wasn't picky, I'd just find a random motel on my road trips rather than book ahead.

I guess if you are in the latter category I'm sure you'd be able to find some accommodations during your travels but not sure what the quality would be.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
573 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Anniversary Advice Please

You might also consider this:

if you want a particular small hotel or B&B, you should pre-book.

if you want a specific kind of room or location, pre-book

Check for major events and conferences or conventions the days you'll be there. Note that hotels near the big event venue will fill up more.

if you're flexible, September should be do-able without booking. Consider using one of the discount services such as hotwire or priceline. Look into them now and see if you are comfortable with the requirements.

Also figure out a convenient tourist information location in case you need to throw yourself on their mercy to find a room. BUT be sure to find out when the office is open -- to many of them are just closing when you most need them!

There are many, many hotel rooms a short way away in Richmond, some conveniently close to the Canada Line rapid transit, so you always have that as a Plan B.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Anniversary Advice Please

Congrats on Your upcoming 40th Anniversary.

September is the nicest month to visit Vancouver Island. The pace slows.. downtown Victoria is no longer bursting at the seams with endless busses dropping off tiny tourists, the weather is stellar.

I agree with the above post... if flexible week days will be wide open.

I've included this link for Island events for September, the drop down on the side with take you to certain areas of the Island.

http://www.harbourliving.ca/events/2012-09/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,544 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Anniversary Advice Please

with one week to travel, I am going to assume you are flying to the west coast first, then renting a car? Are you flying into Seattle, then driving north, or flying into Vancouver?

If it is indeed Seattle, make sure the car rental company will allow you take the car across the border. Some agencies are picky on this issue! BE SURE!

There are lots of places to stay on the east coast of Vancouver Island, so I wouldn't be too concerned about pre booking, unless of course, like kawaguy says, you have your heart set on one particular place, then book it.

The Sunshine Coast isn't as heavily populated, but still some very nice places, lots of b&b choices.

Have a wonderful time. 40 years is pretty special!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: More Anniversary Advice Please

Here is a great website that covers the Sunshine Coast accomadations

http://www.bigpacific.com/

It's a packed with information regarding the upper and lower Sunshine Coast and is a great place to start your research and planning. This circle route you are about to take is very beautiful and September is a great time. Weather is great, less traffic on the roads due to school back in and accommodations are easy to get.

Just curious though - being from Wisconsin - how did you come across the Sunshine Coast? We are not exactly on the beaten path.

6. Re: More Anniversary Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 21, 2013