We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria with a 4 year old

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Victoria with a 4 year old

Hello:

My husband and I are thinking about spending a couple of days in Victoria after a few days in Vancouver. Any recommendations on places to stay or things to do with a 4 year old? Also, should we rent a car for a day and do a day trip somewhere nearby?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

When my daughter was very little, we had a weekend in Victoria. We went to Beacon Hill Park and the petting zoo there, and we went over to Fort Rodd Hill, which was actually a great spot because its a big place with lots of room to run around and climb and there's a lighthouse to explore. However, you will need a car to get over there.

The other thing we did was we went over to Fisherman's Wharf and fed the seals and had ice cream. I'm not sure I would tackle the Royal BC Museum with a 4 yr old, although its a great museum and very interactive and has plenty to engage your child, but I'm not sure you'd really have a chance to absorb the exhibits and it might not be worth the expense. (When I was 4, it was free to go in, so we went every year, and our visits to the museum are some of my most vivid childhood memories - the natural history gallery and the street stuck in my young mind)

Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

There are lots of Victoria attractions families with young children will enjoy. Beacon Hill Park is terrific with a great kid's playground in addition to the petting zoo. Have fun playing with the baby goats and then stroll over to the Beacon Drive Inn adjacent to the park to indulge in a chocolate dipped soft ice cream cone. My kids love that. I agree that the Royal BC Museum might be a bit too much for a 4 year old. The Victoria Bug Zoo located nearby is a great spot for youngsters. You can spend an hour on a a guided visit. Really interesting and fun. Whether to rent a car or not depends on whether you plan to remain in the city center or not. If you are going to stay central BC transit has very good service to all the attractions. You can check their website for route maps, schedules and fares. You can even hop the bus right at the ferry terminal to head directly downtown. If you do rent a car Fort Rodd Hill is a great suggestion and there are lots of lovely beaches in the area. Check out Island View Beach, Cordova Bay Beach, Willows Beach or Witty's Lagoon for easy to find spots. Last but not least I highly recommend the Ecocruising Tours if you'd like to get out on the water. These glass topped boats are so much more comfortable than the whale watching boats and their pilots interact wonderfully with children. Last June we took our kids and their visiting cousins on this tour and they had a ball pulling up spot prawn traps, spotting sea stars and joking with the captain. Check them out on http://www.ecocruising.com/3301.html.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

Miniature World, on the north side of the Fairmont Empress probably would be fun for a 4-year-old. Definitely "yes" to the petting zoo at Beacon Hill Park!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

Thank you for your replies. We are looking forward to our trip. One more question: Do you have any recommendations on centrally located hotels?

calgary
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

Best Western Inner Harbour, walking distance to all downtown attractions and you can get a room with a kitchenette (a big help with a young child).

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

The Royal Scot, one block from the Inner Harbor and just steps from the Parliament building is great for families. We often stayed there on trips with grandkids (from about the time they were 9 and 6, until young teens). Separate bedroom for adults, comfy hide-a-bed for kids, kitchen to cook meals (excellent supermarket just 2 blocks awayh). Ample free parking and an indoor pool that's good for winding down after a big day sightseeing.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

Have you looked at your options for the trip to (& from) Victoria? Check out tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c5611/Vancouv… ... page is pretty up-to-date but always check out your final choice with the actual flights/sailings as they do occasionally change.

Not as warm as Tucson! so bring layers of clothing to wear.I t is usually in the 60's on the water, in the 70's near it; but if the wind stops then it can shoot up.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

How about a sand pail and a shovel and head to the beach for a big ol' play in the sand!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

We did miniature world......avoid - waste of money. My kids were done in minutes. Prefer the bug zoo and museum. Also fishermans wharf. The park is close to the museum too.

Victoria BC Canada
Level Contributor
248 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria with a 4 year old

As others have noted - Beacon Hill Park, the Royal BC Museum and the Bug Zoo are all good choices.

When my niece and nephew were younger and came to visit, they always enjoyed a place that had a pool - of course there are public pools if you choose a hotel that doesn't have one. There is a public pool on Quadra Street called the Crystal Pool, their website is: victoria.ca/EN/…crystal-pool.html

I am not sure how your child would do going whale watching - but a cheaper and fun alternative may be to take some of the inner harbour tug ferries - perhaps go all the way up the gorge area and back - I think that would be cool and fun. Their website and routes, etc are at: victoriaharbourferry.com/

If you do get a car for the day - you could go out of town to Witty's Lagoon which has a nice sandy beach other activities. Its about a 20-25 min drive from downtown - their website and info is: www.wittyslagoon.com/

There is also the Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary which is about a 10 min drive out of downtown, their website is: www.swanlake.bc.ca/

It has a nice walk around the lake and also has a small education centre.

If you child has particular interests or preferences, please let us know and perhaps we can offer some more specific advice. Have a good visit.