We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer fireworks

Greater London...
Level Contributor
359 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Summer fireworks

I've read about the summer fireworks in Buschart Gardens, but I thought there were also fireworks over the harbour in Victoria. Is this the case, and when are they? We are staying at the Delta, would we be able to see them from the restaurant there?

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer fireworks

July 1st (Canada Day) there is a celebration on the lawns of the Legislature - followed by Fireworks over the harbour. Beyond that I'm not aware of any ... but, if that's inaccurate, I'm sure someone will post to advise.

Can't advise if you can see them from Delta's restaurant - I would assume 'yes' if it faces the water - but why would you? Much more fun to partake of the celebration (with local musicians/bands), then watch the fireworks with the crowd :-).

Cheers

Greater London...
Level Contributor
359 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer fireworks

Thanks for the info. Yes it is more fun to see them "live" but if my 6-year old got too tired we could stick him in bed with baby listening on and go and watch from the restaurant. If there are any fireworks of cours. Looks like Buschart Gardens might be the option.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer fireworks

The Canada Day fireworks start fairly late (around 10 pm, I believe), so it might be too late for your 6 year old. Not sure what time the fireworks at Butcharts take place.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer fireworks

Butchart Gardens fireworks also start at around 10 pm... or when it gets dark. The Canada day fireworks are lit off right beside the Delta Ocean Point Resort in recent years so yes, you could see them from the restaurant I assume, but if you're going that far away from your room, go outside on the patio. You'll get a better view.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer fireworks

As for the celebration on the lawn of the legislature, it happens every five years and won't be this year, but next, for Canada's 140th birthday. The fireworks do still happen and it's still lots of fun. There are other things going on all day as well. I think there is a community picnic at the Gorge Park that's fun for all ages. I think they also do something at Beacon Hill park as well, it's been so long since I checked any of it out!

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer fireworks

Breezed ...

hasn't the celebration become a yearly event? There was one last summer ('05) and, I thought a follow-up piece in the paper said something to the effect of "yearly" - but could be remembering incorrectly :-).

7. Re: Summer fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, April 04, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer fireworks

What it boils down to is... it'll depend on how much $$$ they can raise as to what's going on. If it's just fireworks, FolkFest starts June 30th and will still fill the Inner harbour with music. I don't think they have their line up yet but they usually bring in a big name or two. K-os pretty much closed down traffic in the Inner Harbour last year.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer fireworks

There is also the symphony splash that's happening on Aug. 6th at the inner harbour. I don't know which draws more crowds, symphony splash or Canada day...but the inner harbour will be full of people, and there is music and at the end there is incredible fireworks accompanied by Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. Loads of fun...but again, I think the fireworks don't start till dusk and in August that can be pretty late.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer fireworks

Folkfest is on June 30 to July 9 this year. Their website is www.icafolkfest.com. Program info will be listed in May. Mazdauk, it is well worth a visit. It's located at the Inner Harbour, so you can't miss it. Great ethnic foods, entertainment and crafts.

Get answers to your questions about Victoria