We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage Rides

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Carriage Rides

Will be visiting at the end of Sept via a HAL cruise. Short stop at the ed of our cruise so I want to have a relaxing stop. I've always wanted to do a horse drawn carriage ride. I see one company through Expedia.com. Can anyone recommend a good company that does this? Is there only one? How cool are the evenings in Sept?

Any recommendations very welcome :).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carriage Rides

Hiya Mrs C! Welcome to my home forum :)

The horse drawn buggies I am familiar with are right by the parliament buildings, about a 20 minute walk from where your ship docks. . September tends to be the transitional month, with exceptionally lovely Indian summer days,but chilly once the sun sets. If the wind picks up it can be downright cold.

Is this the one advertised on Expedia?

http://www.victoriacarriage.com/

This is the one we use when we have visitors

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carriage Rides

flippr,

I was going to ask you over there but my luck a certain person would jump in and "moderate" me for posting in the wrong forum and cause my question to be deleted and locked.

Yes, that is the same company. I see they offer different tours, anyone you would recommend over another?

MrsC

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carriage Rides

They are all pretty much the same. I don't like Tallyho. The drivers (is that what they are called?) seem a little more savvy re history and culture on the one you have seen. The horses seem happier, if that makes any sense. Is your stop a night time stop?

As for getting moderated..happens to me all the time lol

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carriage Rides

Victoria Carriage has 4 options for tours:

By the Sea (30 min)

Beacon Hill Park (45)

Royal Tour (60)

Our Very Best (90)

I'm leaning towards the Beacon hill or the Royal. Is an hour too long? Is there enough variety that we would stay interested?

Ship arrives in the evening so I was planning to have dinner and catch a carriage ride....but perhaps I should do it the other way around to make the most of whatever daylight there is at 6pm(ish).

I try not to get moderated too often :(.

Edited: 8:37 pm, March 29, 2012
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carriage Rides

since you are coming by cruise ship, I wouldn't bother with any tour that involves the waterfront, as you will see that and the amazing mountains as you cruise in. The Beacon Hill tour would be very nice.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carriage Rides

Sounds good. Thank you :) I'm sold :)

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,682 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Carriage Rides

"The horses seem happier, if that makes any sense..."

FWIW My Dad loved work horses and from him I learned what to look for in terms of carriage & deportment-the better the care the happier the horse-what you're seeing is real.

8. Re: Carriage Rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, April 01, 2013