We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

port angeles ferry

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
port angeles ferry

Could anyone please tell me if the Port Angeles Ferry docks in Victoria?

If not how far away is it from town?

Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: port angeles ferry

It docks right in Victoria. But be prepared for a rocky ride. The ship encounters some sort of rip tide/current, making for rough rides and rolling. Take dramamine. If you aren't using a car try this site. Fast and easy

http://www.victoriaclipper.com

I have been on the PA ferry a couple of times out of neccesity, never choice blech...

If you are using a car, why not drive up to Vancouver and take the BC ferry. Beautiful ride and much scenery. They have a web site and a booking line. Just not too sure what it is..I'm sure if luckysll reads this she will be able to help you. She's great!!!

Have a good time in Victoria!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: port angeles ferry

The ferry trip from Port Angeles can be a bit rough but you have a wonderful entrance to the Inner Harbour at the end. I think it is a great way to see Victoria for the first time. I have taken it a few times and have never seen anyone seasick. Another option is the Washington State ferry from Anacortes to Sidney. It is a very pretty journey through the San Juan Islands but takes longer. BC Ferries has the most comfortable vessels though. The only problem using that route is that the border crossing can be very time consuming depending on the day and time. If I were you (assuming you are driving from Seattle) I would take the Coho (name of the ferry) from Port Angeles. Just make sure you reserve a space because if you miss it you will have a four hour wait!

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: port angeles ferry

I don't think the Coho is so bad. In fact, I find the Clipper worse for sea-sickness.

The Coho docks right downtown Victoria. If you are just coming for a day trip, I would leave the car behind and walk on, as it is much cheaper and you are right downtown close to all the major tourist stuff. If you want to visit Butchart Gardens, then you can take a tour bus that leaves from downtown. In fact, right where the Coho office is.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: port angeles ferry

Hey flippr - how many more sleeps???

Reservations for the BC Ferries can be made on their website: www.bcferries.com

A lot of the problems with motion on the Coho depends a lot on the time of year you cross, too. If there's a storm it can be pretty rough because the ship crosses against the waves.

Beachtraveler, you don't say how you're getting to Port Angeles. If you are starting around Seattle for your trip, it's a bit more out of the way to get to Victoria from Port Angeles. If you don't want to drive all the way up into BC, your best option is to drive an hour north of Seattle to Anacortes and take that ferry. The ferry docks about a 1/2 hour drive north of Victoria.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: port angeles ferry

Thanks for all the ferry advice!

My plan is to visit: Vancouver, Victoria, and Whistler. We arrive at SEA on Monday July 31 and depart again on Saturday August 5. We have to stay in Vancouver on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for overnights. Either going up to BC or coming back we plan to reserve and take the Boeing Tour in Everett.

I originally planned to stay in Everett Monday, take the tour Tuesday AM and drive to Vancouver. That will leave the rest of Tuesday for Vancouver. For Wednesday and Thursday we originally planned to go to Whistler one day and Victoria one day. That only left us with Friday AM for Vancouver and then depart for our Friday overnight near the SEA airport.

I kind of felt like we were wasting time, since we arrive Monday at 11 AM and were driving to Everett. I was afraid to book the Boeing Tour that day because you never know about aiport delays. So we could reach Everett as early as 2-3 PM. Then we would be waiting for the next morning for the tour.

I thought of maybe doing the trip backwards and arriving on Monday at SEA and picking up our car and ferrying to Victoria for an overnight and then spending Tuesday in Victoria and ferrying that evening to Vancouver. That would leave us Wednesday, Thursday and Friday AM for all of Vancouver and Whistler one day.

I still really don't know what to do. Any suggestion are welcome.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: port angeles ferry

Logistically, your last itinerary there would be my choice and would make the most sense timewise. All your other options have too little time in some places and too much time spend in others. I'd opt for your backwards itinerary.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: port angeles ferry

I agree with BC Robyn. Your backwards itinerary looks best to me.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: port angeles ferry

Thanks for you supporting opinions!

The only thing standing in my way now is the problem some people told me about with the Port Angeles ferry ride being rough. I am usually not seasick but if the ride gets rocky I do tend to sometimes get sick.

I am wondering if the ride is only a little rocky or can tend to be pretty rough?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: port angeles ferry

like luckysll pointed out, it all depends on the time of year,and the wind/weather. Contrary to what other posters say, I've been on the ferry when people were fighting for trash cans to uh..err..lose their lunch...

lucky..6 more sleeps!!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: port angeles ferry

What's the wind and weather usually like the first of August?

Get answers to your questions about Victoria