We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

baltimore md
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

We are planning a 10-14 day trip to Seattle, Victoria BC, and possibly other parts of BC.

Looking for info re how much time to spend, what to see,where to stay,etc.

In particular, looking for recommendations for a "cozy" B&B in Victoria.

Ideas re Seattle and other parts of BC would be welcome.

We are 60ish but VERY young at heart.

Also looking for NON-tourist places to visit.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

Abigail's B&B is my favourite. It's close to downtown, and they have beautiful rooms and great service. Another gem which is a little out of the downtown core is Oak Bay Beach Hotel. They have a free shuttle that goes downtown, so you don't have to worry about missing the closeness to downtown. They have evening hot chocolates along with very good cookies.

Seattle has a great underground tour that I would highly recommend!

Many tourist miss out a visit to China town in Victoria, which I would highly recomend. The oldest in the westcoast! Rather small but still worth the visit. Don't miss out on fan tan alley and the amazing store in there that twists and turns with lots of wicker and small toys.

Also...if you like neat furniture or fine fabric, you should visit Chintz & Company, which is close by to chinatown on Store street.

If you are a beer fan, I would highly recommend Spinakers. They have their own brewery and do the best Indiana Pale Ale around...very hoppy!!! Though it has a great view of the inner harbour, many tourist miss out on this gem.

Another local secret is the szechwan restaurant on caledonia street. Right across the street from the Police station. Be prepared for very spicy food.

enjoy your stay!

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

The San Juan Islands ferry Route starting in Anacortes, north of Seattle, ending in Sidney BC, north of Victoria is a beautiful trip. I did it years ago on the old ferry that no longer runs, but maybe someone will be able to give some info on the new ferries that do that route.

This is the Washington State Ferries site.

www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/index.cfm

Then, once in BC you can catch a BC Ferry to one of many gulf Islands.

www.bcferries.com

Lots of Whale watching, salmon fishing, B&Bs, Galleries ect.

baltimore md
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

This is for Cedre and anyone else......

Cedre, i checked into Abigail's; it sounds great, but is unfortunately too pricy for my budget.(the 17% room tax is a killer) I am considering your alternate choice, the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. (How often does the shuttle run?)

Any other 3-4 star place you would suggest? How about the Royal Scot? We prefer small and intimate; about 150/day US is about our limit.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

I've never stayed at Royal Scott but I have heard good things about it. And they are right downtown so you don't have to worry about shuttles either.

I just gave a quick call to Oak Bay Beach Hotel and they informed me that their shuttle only runs during summer season after June 16th, and they run every 2 hours. I don't know when you are coming here, but something to keep in mind. It is a lovely location, but I would factor in the price of taxi to downtown which I would geuss to be around $10 or so from there.

My friend's favourite hotel is Swans Hotel which is also located downtown, close to china town. He normaly gets a loft for the price of a single room. They have a nice restaurant and a club downstairs too. Though, I am not a fan of their beer, there are others who swear by it.

Another really nice place is Magnolia Hotel, which is a very chic boutique hotel right smack in downtown. They also have an even better restaurant downstairs and an even hipper club (Hugos) beside it. Their beer is FANTASTIC. I don't know if you are here on a Tuesday, but they have their beers for $3.75 and their pizzas for $5.00. I think their rates are pretty comparable to Royal Scott.

Okay...so I rate everything by their beer :)

I hope you enjoy your stay!

baltimore md
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

Cedre,

We're coming to Victoria in early May. We'll have a car so proximity shouldn't be a problem, after all (unless parking is expensive)

I'll check out your other suggestions (even tho I drink about a six-pack of beer a YEAR and my wife none!!!. Oh well....i DO drink wine)

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

miasisdragon,

if you like wine, check out some BC wines while you are here...my favourite being mission hill Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cherry Point Merlot. I am much more of a red wine fan...but I hear mission hill has won some awards for the whites as well. There are a few nice wine stores right downtown. One being all mission hill, right on Government street.

Since both Swans and Magnolia are right above clubs, I would suggest that you ask for quite rooms if you go with any of those.

Parking isn't supper expensive downtown, at least compared to some bigger cities. And there are loads of parkades, so you shouldn't have to worry about looking all day for one.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

i would check out the guesthouses at Spinnakers. They are not well known but are extremely nice and cozy. They have a fireplace in the rooms with wood provided. The only downside (if it is a downside) is no TV. But a lot of people like that. Breakfast is hot and filling and delivered to your room in the morning. They have jetted tubs in most of the rooms.

If you look up Spinnaker's on Google it should take you to the website easily.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

Another place to visit that is not full of tourists is Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Light House. Since you have a car, it would be easy to get there. Just follow Douglas street untill it becomes highway one. Follow the signs to the park from there (exit is Colwood - then turn left on 3rd set of lights). Most amazing views there...and of course a beautiful light house. If you go to the info house, and ask for Bob - tell him Cedre sent you...he'll get a good laugh and may even give you a guided tour if he isn't busy. www.fortroddhill.com

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

hi miasisdragon ,

If you like white wine try Cherry Point Ortega. My local favorite.

Have a great trip

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning trip to Seattle/victoria/British Columbia

We stayed at Abigail's last week and loved it. I found the rate on Expedia was cheaper than their listed rate, so called them and they matched it. We paid $122/night. So you may want to check that. Also, they have breakfast that is included in their rate, and so that might be something to consider.

We spent a lot of time at Beacon Hill Park which is only 2-3 blocks from Abigail's. It is a beautiful park and is a good way to get away from the large groups of tourists.