We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prospect lake victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
prospect lake victoria

We are heading to Victoria for a wedding next July. The bride and groom live near Prospect Lake and I am trying to find family friendly accommodation with a kitchen that would be close to downtown Victoria, but also close to the Goward Rd/Prospect lake. i amy end up booking for quite a number of families. The price range would be mid-high. We are all travelling from Australia, so I would like to stay somewhere a little nicer, rather than a standard place. Many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,465 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prospect lake victoria

Hi travelbc707 ~ Welcome to the forum.

A bit of a challenge, here. There is a Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites at Elk Lake which is pretty close, but it will be a 2.5 stat hotel and functional at best. How long will you have in town?

You will be about 20 minutes drive from downtown Victoria at Prospect Lake which is pretty "countryside" actually.

An idea that I have is to perhaps look at Brentwood Bay. It is a really pretty town in the opposite direction from Victoria and 15 minutes from Prospect Lake. It's close to Butchart Gardens as well. That might be good for family visiting. Have a look at Cedarwood Inn and Suites, Brentwood Bay Resort and Spa, and BBay Heritage House.

However, the place to be for walking out in the evening and visiting the attractions would be in Victoria, so either way, I think you will have to look at driving. It would depend on how much time you want to spend at Prospect Lake? Are the bride and groom even going to be there after the wedding? Victoria will have more choice at higher end accommodation.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prospect lake victoria

Hi travelbc707!

I've stayed at the HOJO near Elk Lake a few times and it is perfectly fine. The first section they built has large suites with kitchens attached. It is a very solid mid-range hote but probably what you would consider a standard hotel propertyl. Seasonal outdoor pool as well. It is however not in an very resplendent with a lot of walking opportunities.

As Mufti has suggested you might consider Brentwood Bay or even Sidney by the Sea. Both lovely little communities. The Pier in Sidney is nice.

What strikes me about Victoria everytime I am there is how quick and easy it is to get all around town. You can go from Oak Bay to downtown in like 8 minutes and then to Royal Oak area in another 10. Victoria, IMHO, is a very easy community to drive about in so I don't think you should really confine yourself to one area.

Personally I would consider the Parkside Victoria. This is a lovely property (with a slight noise issue as they do not offer air conditioning and one must keep the windows open in the summer months and there is a bit of resonant city noise) with 2 bedroom suites, full kitchens, balconies ect. If there were several families you might consider getting an entire floor (believe there are 3 or 4 suites and a couple of rooms per floor).

I would also consider the Royal Scot, Helms Inn and the newly refurbished (when you arrive) Coast Harbourside Hotel. All 3 have suites, kitchens (Coast might not but do offer suites), are better than your average place and family friendly. There are of course many other options but these are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Happy planning!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prospect lake victoria

A belated thank you for your advice. We actually found a private rental home for the week of the wedding and then we are relocating to downtown Victoria for 5 nights post wedding.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,572 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prospect lake victoria

I think you are totally smart to relocate to downtown Victoria, Sidney and Brentwood Bay are nice, but they are worth a day, not more,, and staying downtown gives you so many more options on things to do, museums, whalewathching, restaurants, etc.

5. Re: prospect lake victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, June 22, 2013