We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandmother traveling alone

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco area
10 posts
Save Topic
Grandmother traveling alone

I would like to visit Victoria and Vancouver, for the first time, next spring or summer. I am traveling by myself and am an active senior, in my late 60's.

Three quick questions, please:

1) What is the best time for visiting Victoria to see the gardens at their best, roses in bloom, etc?

2) Any suggestions for nice, not expensive, places to stay in Vancouver and Victoria? Small hotels and B&Bs would be preferable.

3) Any tour companies that you would suggest for an overview of Vancouver, and, possibly, Victoria, such as the hop-on, hop-off buses in London and Glasgow?

Thanks.

Victoria, B.C.
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandmother traveling alone

Hi there.

You should have a great time when you come to Victoria.

To answer your questions:

To see the gardens in full bloom I would reccomend mid to late April (that is when I spend most of my time at Buchart Gardens)

If you are looking for a nice B&B, try this link: www.tourismvictoria.com

For a local tour company you might check out www.grayline.com You might also think about going out whale watching on one of the local boats. I would reccomend you check out www.victoria-whale-watching.com as they have the most comfortable boat (in my opinion)

Don't forget to check out all the amazing little shops hidden right downtown around the inner harbour!

Victoria B.C.
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandmother traveling alone

here's a website that will hopefully help you find some fun and enjoyable things to do here!!

This website is for Victoria

www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/524.asp

This website is for Vancouver

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/

Victoria is much more relaxed and at a slower pace than big busy Vancouver. However in the summer there are TONS of tourists and can get pretty crowded.

Spring time is pretty rainy here so if you want to see the gardens (and Butchart Gardens is a MUST-you can take a bus tour there with Pacific Coach Lines) I would suggest May or June.

And we don't really have any hop on hop off bus companies but in Vancouver you can get a day pass for the public transit and use both the buses and the skytrains!!

Stanley Park in Vancouver is a great place to walk around!!

Hope that helps, have fun!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grandmother traveling alone

Vancouver has the Vancouver Trolley Company - a hop on/hop off service that takes visitors around to many of the city's must-see's.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grandmother traveling alone

Hello, Victoria is eay to get around on your own. If you stay near the Inner Harbour, you would be able to walk to most attractions.

I have been to the Gardens in the dead of winter and they are still magnificent, there is no wrong time to go.

There are many cute B &Bs, anything in James Bay , is also easy walking distance to most attractions, if not take a taxi or bus, neither are over priced. A bit more money but alot more fun are the Kabuki cabs, they are little rickshaw type bike pulled cabs.They are a nice way to see a bit of James Bay and area. They are not cheap, but , for twenty bucks you get a quick overview . And the drivers are generally so fun to chat with.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,808 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grandmother traveling alone

I would also suggest perhaps flying into Seattle and using Victoria Clipper. They have a boat from Seattle that offers Victoria and Vancouver and train back to Seattle. Also call 1-800-hello BC which is the visitors bureau who will make recommendations and offer hotel discounts. In Victoria I highly recommend the double decker buses for the city tour. They also offer a combo that will take you to the gardens. Downtown Victoria is easy to get around. There is a bus from dowtown to the ferry and on the ferry there is a bus thaat will take you into downtown Vancouver. Have fun