We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Victoria, then where?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
trip to Victoria, then where?

Hi

My friend emigrated to Calgary a few years ago and I have been promising to visit each year! But now I think I can, so am planning a long visit for next July.

But she is now relocating from Calgary to Victoria!

I will probably stay with my friend for 1 week, then possibly take a trip to the northern end of the island.

Thereafter, I want to spend a further 2 weeks exploring further, but am not sure where to go.

I have thought of hiring a car to travel to Banff.

Where I plan will dictate my flights. For example, I could fly into Vancouver and return from Calgary.

Or I could fly into Seattle and return from ?

Suggestions would be very welcome.

I shall either be travelling alone, or with my 21 year old daughter. I am accustomed to driving on the right and we're both seasoned travellers.

I'm not keen on package tours or large crowds of tourists. We like to walk and admire mountainous scenery, but we also like cities, museums, galleries and culture.

It's a big question, but someone here may trigger a really good idea I can investigate.

thanks

Elaine :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to Victoria, then where?

We have friends in Calgary whom we visited 4 summers ago and did what you are thinking off more or less in reverse. Flew to Calgary where they took us round the area(incl Banff) then they drove us over to vancouver,which we explored on our own for 3 days before week touring on Vancouver Island.Flew home (Air Canada via Heathrow) from Vancouver.

To give you more ideas look at two threads from the last couple of days: a long thread ongoing under "trips from Vancouver" where you can read more suggestions for the island. Also one "Driving from Calgary to BC coast" which might give you some ideas of a more unusual route to Banff area.It's the one we were taken along most of the way, except Crowsnest Pass part. From Cranbrook on,following route 93/95 via Radium Hot Springs you cd go up to Banff at the end. And fly from Calgary home, to cut down on driving.

For us it was our best holiday ever and our 12 year-old is pestering to go back next year. And I think we may....so much more of B.C. to explore. I shall be getting all those guidebooks out again (titles mentioned in one of those other threads).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to Victoria, then where?

From tourist info we picked up then I've found these websites: BCRockies.com, tourism.bc.ca, wherevancouver.com, tourismvancouver.com, HelloBC.com .

The national parks site is: parkscanada.gc.ca

Chemainus
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to Victoria, then where?

The loop. Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Vancouver, Whistler, Horseshoe Bay ferry to Nanaimo, Tofino, Chemainus, Victoria or vice versa. Chemainus is a quaint ocean port town which is world famous for its murals and live theatre. Centrally located on Vancouver Island it makes an excellent base for day trips around the Cowichan and Chemainus Valleys as well as the small outer islands. Enjoy!