We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria in a day

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Carolina
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Victoria in a day

We are a family of 4 (2 children ages 4 and 10) and will be in Washington state the July 4th week. We will be spending 3 days in Anacortes - plan to do a day trip to Victoria OR San Juan Island, and the other 1.5 days see Whidbey Island and vicinity.

I really want to see Victoria. Plan is to do a day trip via the Anacortes foot ferry on Monday morning - this lands in Sidney at 10:20 am and hope to leave by the 6pm ferry.

* I know we catch Bus #70 from ferry terminal to downtown Victoria- how long is the ride to downtown? Is it easier to take a cab vs waiting for a bus? Also, on the way back, how early should we catch the bus back to the ferry terminal?

* I hope to have lunch; do a bus tour and maybe Miniature world, and of course walk around downtown. I don't think we will have time to do anything else. Do we have to make a reservation for the tour -Gray line bus tour ??

Any suggestions for a family friendly lunch place (no fish food) would be great - maybe with a nice view?

Also, do they have food aboard the ferry? I am thinking when we return, it will be dinner time and I may end up doing a take out (maybe from someplace near the sidney ferry terminal) and eating on the ferry - any suggestions?

* Finally is the itinerary doable??

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria in a day

I would suggest posting this in the Britsh Columbia Forum. You may find more help there. (Although there is a Victoria in Newfoundland, and it's quite nice, but I don't think it's the one you're looking for)

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria in a day

Haha...my mistake...

I was in the wrong forum...not you...sorry...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria in a day

A couple of things will affect your day here. You mention the July 4th week. If you are planning on being here Monday, July 2nd, that's the Canada Day long weekend, and it will be VERY busy around the inner harbour area. Also, the buses will be on Saturday schedules on July 2nd. If you plan on being here July 9th, then it will still be busy, but not exceedingly so.

Depending on either of those days, here's the bus schedule:

The bus leaves from Fifth & Weiler (the ferry terminal) at 11:16 am and arrives in Victoria at 12:09 pm. (same time on a Monday or a Saturday schedule).

On Mondays, it leaves Victoria at 4:05 pm and arrives at the ferry terminal at 5:04 pm. There are also buses leaving at 4:10 pm, and 4:25 pm, arriving at 5:11 pm and 5:25 pm respectively. On the Saturday schedule, the bus leaves at either 3:28 pm and arrives at 4:25 pm, or 4:30 pm, arriving at 5:25 pm. Not sure how early you have to be at the ferry terminal (I know for cars they say 1 - 1 1/2 hours early), so you'd probably want to check first before taking the later bus.

A cab would take less time (about 30-40 minutes) and would run you in the $40 - $50 range (one way). But given the limited amount of time you'd have here, you may want to consider a cab for both, if not one, way.

For restaurants, Milestones is nice. It's located right at the Inner Harbour and has a varied menu.

Sorry, don't know about reservations for Gray Line Tour. Not sure if you really could do the tour AND the other things in the 4 - 5 hours you'd have here.

As for food onboard the Anacortes ferry, I believe they do serve food, but I'm not sure exactly what. You can, however, buy food - sandwiches, hot dogs, popcorn and the like - at the ferry terminal in Sidney. Last year when I took the ferry, I bought a sandwich and a drink before I boarded.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria in a day

Also take a look at the Go Lists for Victoria at http:/www.tripadvisor.com/GoListOverview-g154945-Victoria_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html

South Carolina
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria in a day

Thanks luckys and tennisjazz for your suggestions...

We will be in Anacortes July 1-4

luckys, So, I guess it will be better for us to go to Victoria on Tuesday (July 3rd) instead of Monday July 2nd? We may do a cab back to ferry terminal or both ways - we'll see...

Thanks again!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria in a day

Tuesday would be a better day. It will still be busy, but not the large crowds that would be around on the Monday.

Also, not sure if your kids are into bugs or not, but if the are, there's a great place called the Bug Zoo they might enjoy. Here's a link:

http://www.bugzoo.bc.ca/index.htm

It's only a block away from Miniatrure World.

7. Re: Victoria in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 02, 2009