We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

Dundee, Scotland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

We are arriving in Vancouver Airport on 14th May and need to get to Nanaimo using public transport. What is the best way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

tripadvisor.ca/…5649

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,125 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

Vanya, when you get your ticket for the Canada Line at the airport, you can use your credit card. But if your card is like most cards, they will ding you an extra 2.5% over and above the exchange rate. And you want to make sure your credit card company knows your dates and where you are traveling, so it is not rejected.

If you don't want to use the credit card, make sure you get some Canadian money before traveling. The bus normally takes coin only, and no change is given. But with the machine at the airport, you will be able to get change from the machine.

When you get off the "train" at the city center, and walk up to ground level, you will want to cross the street in order to catch the bus to Horseshoe Bay. Remember that the cars are on the right side of the road now! You will be tired from your long trip, so be careful. Make sure you get the express bus to Horseshoe Bay.

Victoria
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

Or you can take the PCL (Pacific Coach Lines) bus to Tswassen ferry terminal and get off there then walk on the ferry to Duke Point ( Nanaimo)

PCL picks up in front of the Fairmont hotel at YVR I believe.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

It would be fairly easy I think to get a taxi from Duke Point to Nanaimo, about 20 min.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,125 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

That's the problem with Duke Point. If you don't have someone come out there to pick you up, the only alternative is an expensive taxi. No public transit goes out there.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

The best way, IMHO, is to take a HarbourAir or Seair Seaplane from the YVR Seaplane Terminal. Flights around $70 each one way. Fairly strict luggage allowances so have a look at their sites to see restrictions.

Next best is the Canada Line from YVR to Vancouver City Centre then bus #257 Horseshoe Bay Express to BC Ferries Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal and then the boat over to Departure Bay Nanaimo.

The cab fare from Duke Point to downtown Nanaimo, as noted by J0an123 is expensive, like in the $50 range and makes that option less attractive.

We frequently travel to and from Nanaimo to YVR without a vehicle and always do one of the first two suggestion. Fly if we want to get there quickly, ferry if we have more time.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

Just to clarify a comment about credit cards: Yes most credit cards add an international currency exchange fee, but it is added to the interbank (wholesale) rate. That means the total appearing on your statement will be the same as if you exchanged at the bank or an ATM.

Dundee, Scotland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

Thanks so much everyone!! We don't have a lot of money so are going to get the Canada Line to downtown Vancouver then get the number 257 bus to Horseshoe Bay. And yes, we will try not to get killed crossing the road haha!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

From the sidewalk atop Vancouver City Centre Station walk 150 metres east to westbound Georgia Street at Seymour. In front of The Bay department store. You're travelling on a Wednesday in May, so I think the bus may be not too busy. The HB Express buses are as rare as hens' teeth (only 3 I was told), so they can get very full on Fridays and Sundays. You should be all right. But as a bit of a tip, the #250 HB bus, the milk run bus, doesn't take a lot longer to get to the same ferry terminal. So you have a second option if the Two Fifty-Seven is full.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,125 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo without car?

That milk run is actually a very scenic drive too. Of course, you may be too tired to enjoy it! I sometimes jump on it, just to be able to sit down, or get out of the rain instead of waiting for the Express bus. Whichever bus you grab, they drop you off right in front of B. C. Ferries ticket booth. It's their last stop!