We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Itinerary:

Day 1: Victoria

Day 2: Victoria - Day trip to Salt Spring Island

Day 3: Sooke

Day 4: Where to stay? Thinking we might enjoy the Pacific Marine Circle Route Drive? But also want to spend sometime seeing visiting wineries in this area. Possibly staying in a B&B on a winery? So open to perhaps just head back up through Duncan Chemainus to Cowichan Valley?

Day 5 & 6: Ucluelet

Day 7 & 8: Parksville

Day 9: Vancouver

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,465 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Hi Strick ~

I'm wondering why the duplication of Sooke. Sooke is the area that you go through when doing the Pacific Marine Circle Route.

So you might consider getting going on Day 3 on the PMCR, visit Sooke, visit the attractions on the way to Port Renfrew, then across to Duncan and south to the Cobble Hill area for wineries and the night. Heading south from Duncan seems counter intuitive when you are heading for Pac Rim NP, but it would be fine. It would only take 15 - 20 minutes. Then add that freed up day to Ucluelet. I can see about 7-8 hours for day. I'm having some difficulty seeing a whole day in Sooke.

Map looks like this: http://goo.gl/maps/JHIhu

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Nanaimo? Have a look at this video to see if Nanaimo appeals to you for an overnight stay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCMU-_TVkEA

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Add the extra day to Ucluelet!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Thanks for the suggestions!

We've got all the nights reserved but July 1st. Looks like we may wing it and see where we decide we want to spend the time at the last minute. Cowichan area or head straight out to Ucluelet. We will be having time to explore around Nanaimo when we stay in Parksville after returning from Ucluelet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,576 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Your going to wing it on July 1st? Wow that's brave. Would you wing it on the California coast for the night of July 4th?

July 1st is Canada Day and one of the busiest weekends of the year. You are going to a very popular tourism destination. You may end up sleeping in the car....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,465 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

<<We've got all the nights reserved but July 1st.>>

You'd better get that done, pretty quickly.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

So far it looks like there are plenty of places still open on July 1st. We've scored some of our nicest rooms and best deals rolling into places with no reservation. Understand it can be different on an island, but it's worked well for us in Maui. Guess it's the California girl in me, I don't mind winging it now and then. It's fun to see where you might land.

Thanks for the tips!

Best.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

I'd be very surprised if the Best Westerns in Chemainus or Port Alberni were full, but not so surprised if anything in Parksville was full.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the input. We ended up staying in Ladysmith in a lovely little B&B, Blanket and Spoon. It was a great place to stop over!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,465 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay for night on drive from Sooke to Ucluelet?

Wow, the name says it all sleep and food. Glad you found a gem and I enjoyed reading your review.