We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do

Fullerton
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What To Do

We will arrive in Seattle on 4/29 and want to visit either the San Juan Islands or Vancouver Island. We need to leave the morning of 5/2. Looking for suggestions....San Juan Islands or Vancouver? We will have our car and also need "pet friendly" lodging. Thanks for any suggestions.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Do

Lowroller, you are talking about some wildly divergent locations. The San Juans are a few bucolic, pastoral, quiet Islands. Vancouver is a cosmopolitan city of two and a half million, with residents from around the world. Vancouver Island is one of the biggest islands in the world, over two hundred miles long, with the capital of the province, and also many different geographical features.

So it all depends on your tastes, and how quickly you want to move through this trip. A few days would be OK for the San Juans; not really enough for either Vancouver, or Vancouver Island. Are you looking for an urban experience? Vancouver would be the better bet. Wilderness? Here you may well enjoy some of the possibilities on Vancouver Island.

You time is going to be very limited, and so you will have to pick a few locations, and weed out the others, I believe. Post again, and perhaps we can narrow it down for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Do

Hi lowroller ~

Very ambitious with San Juans, Vancouver Island and Vancouver in 2 full days. I think you've got your answer in the San Juan Forum. It will take you time to just get to the SJIs and back to Seattle, let alone take a ferry between Islands.

Edited: 10:03 pm, March 28, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,112 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Do

As virtualtrek notes, you are talking about two very different experiences. As noted, Vancouver Island is a massive place that really needs about 10 to 14 days to visit. With the time frame you have, I suspect you are just looking at visiting the city of Victoria, the capitol of BC at the southern end of the island. Have you checked out their tourism site for some ideas?

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

While I don't know the San Juans, I'm under the impression that the experience is very similar to the Southern Gulf Islands, which are part of the same chain on the Canadian side. The SGI are very quiet, residential islands with limited activities and attractions.

If you want a very quite relaxing couple of days, with perhaps some artists galleries and wanders through quiet parkland, then you want SJI. If you want a more urban experience, with tourism focussed attractions like museums and the like, then you want Victoria.

4. Re: What To Do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 30, 2014