We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

Have quickly arranged to fly my family to Vancouver and spend a week on Vancouver Island next week (leaving tomorrow!) After several days in Victoria, will spend several days at Strathcona Lodge. Then the question: spend the remaining time on west coast, eg Ucluelet, or east coast, eg. Parksville (the latter giving quick access to ferry back to Vancouver, have 7pm flight out of vancouver the following Sun). Would like to do some sea kayaking, hikes.

So, with the little planning done, any advice would be most welcome!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

OOH - may have already missed you, but here's my thoughts.

West Coast. It's more spectacular, more rugged and remote. Makes a bigger impression. If you're not likely to be back this way, then go over and see it.

Parksville is lovely. The inland waters are calmer, more kid-friendly and a very popular family destination. If you feel too rushed to get over to the west side, then you would have a nice time in Parksville.

I'd be curious to hear your feedback on Strathcona Park Lodge. I had a Christmas there when I was a kid and I just wonder what kind of a place it is these days.

Hope you have a great trip!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

Thanks. Dont leave til this afternoon, and most likely will still be piecing it together once we get there tonight and tomorrow.

Your comments confirm my impressions....still dont know which way to go. I'll let you know how Strathcona is...I figure that regardless of the setup, the setting has to be great.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

Lots of opportunity for lake kayaking, hiking and other things at Strathcona. There are caves along the Gold River highway as well. Upana Caves. On the way back from Strathcona to Campbell River, a hike aroung Elk Falls is quite impressive.

From Campbell River you could take the ferry to Quadra Island and do sea kayaking there out of Heriot Bay. www.heriotbayinn.com Take in an eco tour seeing orcas, seals, sea lions, eagles and so on.

Then head on down to Parksville as planned.

The beaches aren't so rugged on the east side, but the mountainous scenery is splendid - some a little snow covered still.

This would leave more time to "do" things, rather than rushing over to the west coast, although I can't deny the west coast is a sight to see in itself. Make that the next trip in itself.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

I'm much more of a fan of the west coast - it is much more dramatic, I find the east coast too tame (and built up these days)

although Ucululet and Tofino are not the same as they were in the 1970s

if you go to Ucululet/Tofino, Halfmoon Bay is a lovely walk, not as many people go there and the headlands and beaches are just as spectacular with a lovely boardwalk and stairway down

Ask for directions at the information office right at the T-junction of the highway from Port Alberni - it is just off the turnoff to the left

I spent a week on the beach there in the 1970s when it was not yet in the park and you were allowed to camp there - saw grey whales in march

At Uclulet there is also a lovely coastal walk now around where the lighthouse is - quite spectacular

Atlanta
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Went up from Victoria to Botanical Beach today, and we had decided to do the west coast, staying in Ucluelet. Only challenge is that we havent found a place to stay for Sat night...didn't know this coming week-end is a long one with BC Day!

6. Re: West or east coast? need advice for trip next week!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 05, 2009