We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IEC Working holiday visa

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
IEC Working holiday visa

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done this before and what their experience was?

I was looking to do it however for me I was looking more to gain a office job where I can learn more skills over doing bar/resort work etc.

What are the chances id find this? I have 5 years experience and a degree in this environment.

6 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IEC Working holiday visa

Thousands of people work here in Canada on IEC visas every year. The ones I have met seem to really enjoy it, as has my own adult child who has done similar working holiday visas in both New Zealand and Australia.

Generally the jobs that most wind up in are hospitality and tourism, or other fairly menial, generally minimum wage (or slightly above) jobs.... jobs where there is generally a steady turn-over, and which don't require an employer to invest much in training the employee. It's just not worth their while, since the IEC worker will only be working for them for a few months, or possibly a year. Some of these jobs are in an office environment (for example, hotels, tour companies, car rental agencies etc.)

I live in a resort town and therefore, what I've seen of the IEC program and workers I have met is from that perspective. You've posted here in the Vancouver forum, so I assume that's where you are thinking you would like to be. I can't really say much about the IEC program and the job propspects for a large city, other than I think what I wrote above still holds true (about the type of job you are likely to find). Also, keep in mind that Vancouver is a very, very expensive city to live in and affordable housing can be very difficult to find.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
2. Re: IEC Working holiday visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, August 19, 2017

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,584 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IEC Working holiday visa

Welcome to the forums, squirrel218;

If I may suggest.

As helpful as your intentions are, this thread is almost a year old. Before posting, have a look at the dates.

Best Regards

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IEC Working holiday visa

In 4 out of 4 posts, squirrel has included a link to the same travel insurance website... a bit of promo going on, ya think?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IEC Working holiday visa

Good sleuthing krp. maybe a little "reporting" is in order :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,540 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IEC Working holiday visa

Sorry, typo - should have said "4 out of 5 posts".

Reply to: IEC Working holiday visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted