We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
467 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline

I have seen people mention that they used priceline to get hotels so I am now considering that option but have a few questions. First, what is an average price to list? A couple of people said they got hotels by listing a number between 65 and 69 while others said 40 and one person said 35. What is the lowest you would put for a four star and has anyone every stayed at an awful hotel that they got through priceline? Also, I noticed that priceline's website said some hotels charge additonal fees but I was under the impression that you prepay all fee through priceline. Am I wrong or does the price you pay priceline not include taxes and occupancy rates?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline

if you go to biddingfortravel.com and look at the hotel list you will see the list of hotels for each city. They also list winning bids and that will give you an idea. I'm going to Vancouver wed and have bid $35 and twice gotten the Marriott Renaissance right on the water. All the hotels are Marriotts, Westin, Hyatts or comparable so you won't get a bad room especially if you stay in the downtown core. I'll let you know if I bid for this coming week and what I get. Sometimes bidding closer to the date is better than a few months out. Go to Expedia and see what the rooms would be for when you want to travel then discount that amount substantially. The fee includes taxes etc but some hotels add 'resort fees' on top of the room rate. Thats rare in a non resort town, but I had to pay that in Cancun and in LV

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline

Does anyone know how to use Priceline, Orbits or Hotwire from Canada? I think you have to have a U.S. credit card or a U.S. address.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline

you can ask at biddingfortravel.com, but I don't see the problem as long as your bid is in us funds, but perhaps I'm wrong. I always bid in other countries from the US but perhaps its different from other countries.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline

Thanks, I'll check out biddingfortravel.com. Thing is, when you're using a Canadian credit card the funds are always CDN. I'd love to try Priceline some time.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline

I wouldn't think so if you are using a US website. They are going to bill you in US dollars. Just like when I use my visa in BC its Canadian. Just be aware you are 'bidding' in US $$ and I think you should be fine.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
467 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline

Speaking of credit cards, which is better to use these days when charging in Canada? I know either visa or american express charges a conversion fee to change the purchases from Canadian to US dollars but I am not sure which one.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline

there is a wide variation on what different card copanies charge. You need to call first to verify. Mine charges 3% as a visa but some specific banks don't charge anything. Actually the thinking has changed where its almost better to use your atm card instead. If your only charging small amounts it probably doesn't matter much, but a few hundred it would make a big difference. I like to go to oanda.com before traveling and print out their currency conversion chart ahead of time so then you know if you are getting the right exchange rate.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
467 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline

I posted a bid of 45 for a 4 star yesterday and it was rejected so I am wondering how much more I should goto? One person got a 4 star yesterday after bidding in the low 70s but that seems high compared to what people have previously posted on this forum. What are the typical hotels that people get when they request a 3 star?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline

here is the hotel list that usually come up on Priceline:

Downtown Vancouver

4 Star:

Westin Bayshore Marina Hotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Pacific Palisades LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Sheraton Suites Lesoleil LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver

Hyatt Regency LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Metropolitan Hotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Delta Vancouver Suites LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Marriott Pinnacle (formerly Delta Pinnacle) LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Sheraton Wall Center LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Sutton Place Hotel AAA 5 Diamond Great Rates at Easyclicktravel.com--PLEASE CLICK HERE

3 Star:

Renaissance Vancouver LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Crowne Plaza Vancouver LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Coast Plaza Suite Hotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

Sandman Hotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW

2 Star

Howard Johnson

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
467 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline

For those people that are bidding for mid April, 35 for a 3 star in and 45 for a 4 star won't get you anything in downtown vancouver.