We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver please help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver please help!

so my boyfriend and i are going to vancouver this year at the end of October for 10 days i never been before i want to know what will the weather be like?

Can i travel from Vancouver to Whistler by shuttle?if so is its good time of year to go to whistler??

is its cheaper to book excursions from home instead of booking in vancouver??

where are the best places to eat in vancouver ?

whats the cheapest way of getting from the airport to vancouver?

can you make your own way to the Capilano Suspension Bridge?

who are the cheapest and best people to go with on excursions?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver please help!

A lot of your questions can be answered if you look at the "Top Questions" down the right hand side of the page.

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
897 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver please help!

Ten days seems like a lot for just Vancouver. We just did Seattle, US (3) > Victoria, BC (2) > Vancouver, BC (4). Used public transportation to get to each city......very easy.

I'm going to leave others to answer your many questions. What type of excursions are you considering? There are many things you can do on your own. We rented a car for about $35

(rented far in advance) and drove to Whistler.......scenic ride took about 1.5 hours. You can easily get to beautiful Victoria if you wish taking the Pacific Coach Line (bus & ferry.) Took about 4 hours in total so it might be best to stay overnight. Others should be able to help you with what weather to expect the end of October.

Edited: 5:46 pm, August 22, 2014
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver please help!

Not a good time to go Whistler as the slopes aren't open yet. You can still ride the peak 2 peak gondola. It will probably be cloudy or raining though it could be sunny.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver please help!

1) The weather is going to be the same as it is in London in May.

2) There are busses, but renting a car may be easier. October is an inbetween time for Whistler. No skiing and no mountain biking.. so it's off season for both

3) Booking at home is easier, but it's easy to do it in Vancouver. It's all in English

4) If you're after Hong Kong Cuisine it's in Richmond by the airport. Short of that, Kitsilano and Downtown Vancouver are good places to eat. You really can't go wrong eating anywhere in Vancouver. Surrounding cities included. (Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond, North Vancouver, West Vancouver) It's all west coast.

5) Public Transit. Take the Skytrain. It's easier to take than the Tube

6) Yes. Public transit will take you right to the bridge and Grouse Mountain. Note .. the Grouse Grind is not a fun hike. Don't do it if you want to see stuff. It's for exercise only.

7) Your hotel will have a connection for you. But excursions in Vancouver are cheap and easy to find and most can be done by yourself!

5. Re: Vancouver please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:38 am, August 28, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver please help!

In October we have an average temperature of about 10C. The month sees an average of about 120 mm of rain. 15 days of the month on average get rain.

Yes, Landsea Tours will take you to Whistler on a day tour. Greyhound will take you as a commercial coach and Pacific Coach Lines will too. The Peak to Peak will close on Sept 22 for the (summer) season. It will open again once the winter season begins. But you can take the Whistler Village gondola up to the alpine and tramp around up there for an afternoon. The operating hours are quite short though.

Best places to eat? What does best mean to you?

Canada Line will get you into downtown in 26 minutes from the airport for a cost of $9 before 6h30 on weekdays and $7.75 at other times.

Cheapest and best taken together is an oxymoron.

Please have a read through the Top Questions to the right side of this page. And the green tab up top called Things to Do.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver please help!

I just got back from Vancouver and Whistler and it was amazing! DO NOT rent a car with Budget is my first advise - we did in the airport and I paid a crazy amount for three days of car hire -around 275 US$ per day!!!!! I could have rented a car in Denmark (one of the most expensive countries in the world for 42 day for that price just to prove my point!!!) There a LOTS of shuttle busses to Whistler and even the small seaplanes fly up there relatively cheap. Do the peak to peak hike if the weather permits it - it is stunning. You can walk easily every where as long as you book a hotel in the village (we stayed at The Holiday Express Inn which was relatively cheap 120 Canadian dollars per night (don't get a room next to elevator though and the aircon is noisy but cheap for the location). We ate at the Grill room at Fairmont chateau which was our best meal in Canada - best food, service and ambiance - book a table in front of the fireplace - it was not cheap though.

In Vancouver I loved Granville Island for food. It is a public marked with lots of delicacies - fantastic day out. You can get a daypass to the ferries for 15 $ which is worth it if you are going more places along the coast during the same day! DO note to get it with the Flase Creek Ferries NOT Aquabusses because you pay the same but the False ferry creek companies include the longer stop at the maritime museum and has a stop closer to Stanley park as well. (I got cheated because I did not realize it was two different companies). Have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver please help!

acdenmark ~

Yes indeed, Budget at the airport has a bad reputation. A search on this forum will bring up several of threads about them.

Just a heads up about a couple of things in post 7. The Peak to Peak will be closed in October as mentioned in post 6.

I know Vancouver has a Holiday Inn Express, but I think the hotel in Whistler is called the Holiday Inn.

How did you get cheated? If you did not realize about the way the different harbour ferries operated, that is one thing. But how is that being cheated? It's something you just didn't know.

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
897 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver please help!

We always book rental cars far in advance and keep checking rates. Lots of discounts available through Costco, aarp, aaa. No penalty double booking so do your homework. We rented in Victoria and in Vancouver, both with Budget, both local locations near our hotel and both w/o any problems. In both locations we ended up with small suv's for less than $40 a day. If you wait until the last minute you will not do well.

We also backed our reservation with an alternate day in case the weather forecast was not favorable. I don't understand how you can get screwed if you plan properly??????

Edited: 6:24 am, August 24, 2014
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver please help!

Anyone who pays $275 a day for a rental car has not done their research or advance planning ... that is not the norm...

Edited: 6:54 am, August 24, 2014