We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

Hi

Please can someone help advise as I am very confused!

We are flying into Vancouver on thursday and initially planned to stay 3 nights before travelling onto Seattle. However, I struggled to find accommodation last minute for the 3 nights so booked a non refundable rate for 2 nights (annoyingly there is now plenty of accommodation for 3 nights!)

We have a few options and are not sure what would be best:-

1. Book a 3rd night in a different Hotel in Vancouver and then take the early morning train to Seattle

2. Take the late afternoon train to Seattle and stay extra night in Seattle

3. Hire a car and drive to Grouse Mountain, Lyn Canyon or Capilano Canyon and then stay somewhere between Vancouver and Seattle for 3rd night and drop car off in Seattle.

There is little difference price between car and train as there are 4 of us travelling.

If we take the late afternoon train then half the journey will be in dark when we wont be able to see scenery.

Where would be good to stay between Vancouver and Seattle if we drive?

Is it easier to see Grouse Mountain etc if we have a car?

Thanks for any help

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

1. Yes, good idea. The route is scenic and the morning train will provide the daylight to enjoy it. See the article about boarding Amtrak for non Canadians in the Top Questions to the right of the page.

2. Your call.

3. You don't need a car to get to the North Shore attractions, but if you are planning to see all three attractions a car would be convenient. Again, see the article in the TQs about these journeys by public transit. Doing a one way between two countries may incur a large one way drop fee, or not be possible at all. You would have to do some dummy bookings to check that out.

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

Thanks for your advice.

The early morning train then becomes a very early start!

I've phoned car rental and got a few quote online and it is affordable with some rental companies.Any suggestions of a pretty place to stay between Vancouver and Seattle if we hire a car?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

I've not stayed in Fairhaven WA just south of Bellingham, but people on here speak favourably of it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

Given all your parameters, I'd go with option 3. There's lots to see between Vancouver and Seattle, so you can easily make a couple of days of it. Here's a few links to check out. I'd suggest you head to Seattle via Whidbey Island. I haven't been to Langley, but have read good things about it. I wouldn't stay in Oak Harbour because of the air base. The planes are very, very loud. Fun to watch, but you don't want that noise the whole time you're there.

http://www.lovelaconner.com/

http://www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

Hmmm - one more option comes to mind. What about Victoria?

Take the Pacific Coach Lines bus to Victoria and spend the day. Next day, take the Victoria Clipper to Seattle.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

There is a lot to see between Vancouver and Seattle, Fairhaven is cute, although ,there is not much there, but La Conner is well worth a visit. It is really only about 3 hours from Vancouver to La Conner though so you can see a lot enroute and still make it to Seattle in plenty of time in one day. It is an easy drive and a car would give you much more flexibility.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

If you choose the option of driving down to Seattle consider a slight detour to stay in Anacortes and take a whale watch trip. We did that in the opposite direction (we were northbound) a few weeks ago and had a fantastic time out on the boat.

That said, Vancouver is a fantastic city and there's plenty to do if you choose to add on an additional night in another hotel.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
319 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

if you are coming all the way from the UK, only spending 2 nights in Vancouver is really not going to give you much time to see much of Vancouver. I would suggest adding another night in Vancouver

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

Thanks everyone for your help.

We have decided to hire a car - the one way fee wasn't too bad - I have booked a night on Anacortes.

We arrive tomorrow - so looking forward to seeing Vancouver!

10. Re: Help please planning trip to Vancouver this week!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 22, 2015