We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi cost Richmond

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi cost Richmond

Hi Everyone

Quick one, we are landing in Vancouver in the afternoon and have most of the stay booked up heavily but I would LOVE to visit the Richmond Night Market on Friday night.

Problem is, we will just get off the plane around 4pm, go to the hotel and plan is to catch a taxi from Downtown(Davie) - would I be able to get a rough cost please?

We normally use public transport but with limited time and post flight exhaustion I wanted to check if taxi fare will be "affordable" to even consider it ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

Depending on Traffic $35 to $40 plus tip. If you are arriving on a Friday, rush hour tends to be busier. I haven't taken a cab from or to the airport ever since Canada Line was put in.

If it's time you are worried about, Canada Line during that time of day is faster than any taxi. It's also easy to use. If your hotel is on Davie Street you could get off at the Yaletown/Roundhouse station on Davie Street and either walk or catch the bus out front ( or taxi ) to your hotel.

Which hotel?

Edited: 12:51 pm, August 18, 2014
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

"If it's time you are worried about, Canada Line during that time of day is faster than any taxi."

Quite true-scarcely 20 minutes from downtown to Bridgeport Station.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
671 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

A taxi trip on Friday evening will last about 30-40 minutes from Davie & Burrard to Night Market; that is if traffic is light to moderate. Cost is around $35-$40 plus tip of $5 (10%, rounded up).

Public transit would be one bus (6 Downtown) east on Davie, to Yaletown Station, and train (CanadaLine) to Bridgeport, plus 6 minute walk. If after 6:30 pm, fare is $2.75 each. If you're feeling tired, you could, I suppose, take a taxi from the transit station to the market; about $6.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

My suggestion would be to store your luggage at the airport for a couple of hours, at Priority Baggage on the arrivals level off the meet and greet hall. (The Green Jackets can point it out against the wall, 30 steps or so.) Then walk 5 minutes to the Domestic Terminal to the 7-Eleven store to buy a day pass. $9.75 p p and good until "last bus" which is after midnight. Out the Dom Term to the platform for the train.

On Friday afternoon, you would pay a single fare of $4 train fare + $5 surcharge for the pleasure of leaving the airport platform.

Then take Canada Line 7 minutes down the line to Bridgeport Station and walk the 700 metres or so to the Night Market. When done, still using your day pass, return on Canada Line to the airport to pick up your luggage and then catch the Canada Line down to Yaletown-Roundhouse Station and get to your hotel from there.

So cost would be $9.75 pp plus cost of storing luggage.

Map from YVR to the Night Market: http://goo.gl/maps/rMWxW

If you mention your hotel, we can give you directions for the bus from Yaletown-Roundhouse station as well.

Edited: 8:36 pm, August 18, 2014
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

I wouldn't store my luggage at the airport. The night market is from 7-12. If you are tired from the flight, then take a taxi from your hotel to the train station. The night market doesn't really start to pick up until 8pm, $2.75 each way per person.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

thanks for your answers everyone, I will be staying at Sandman Suites on Davie. Will look more into public transport instead.

@Mufti - great idea with storing the luggage and heading out first, will see if my better half is up for that ;-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

Another question - I have done a bit of research and found daily and monthly passes - is there anything in between like 3/5/7 day pass that we could purchase or is it just daily pass?

Also we are arriving from Calgary so plan is to head over to 7-Eleven asap ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

You can buy Faresavers. Books of ten tix for the 1, 2 and 3 zones here. Reduced price for buying 10 at once. I mentioned the day pass because you would get 3 rides with it on the Friday and be exempt from the $5 surcharge.

The #6 Davie bus goes from very near Yaletown Station right down Davie. Same day pass.

You will already be in the Domestic Terminal, so no Customs line. You will have a bit of time until 7 pm, I think. You might consider heading over to Aberdeen Centre at Aberdeen Station on the spur line of Canada Line for an hour. See how you go.

9. Re: Taxi cost Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2015