We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Miami, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

My wife and I will be taking a trip to Vancouver arriving Oct 4 and leaving on the 7th. (I can easily extend the stay)

I was hoping we could get some ideas on spending a day or two in Vancouver, renting a car and driving to Whistler for a night then back to Vancouver. My questions are:

What part of Vancouver should I stay? Per night price <$250.

Where to stay in Whistler? Per night price <$250.

We would like to rent bikes and tour the outdoors. (We live in Miami and want to experience the contrast we don’t have here)

I read that the real Chinatown is in Richmond?

We love to wine and dine, outdoor markets, dance (but I don't think they have salsa in Canada) arts, museums.

Any suggest would be great.

Thanks for your time and effort :)

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

For the most part salsa here is something we put on tacos

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Welcome to the forum, MrTwister ~

Stay in downtown Vancouver. Up top, open the green tab for hotels and filter for: Downtown, West End, Coal Harbour and Yaletown.

For Whistler, check out the Whistler Forum. The Top Questions to the right side of the page (most forums) are a great help. Here is the link to the Whistler Forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154948-i400-Whist…

Spokes, Reckless, Club 16 Bike rentals are a few you could rent bikes from.

The New Chinatown is indeed in Richmond, around Aberdeen Station and along No. 3 Road.

This page has a TQ on museums - here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k33528…

There is a tab up top called Things to Do. Explore that section for a bit to see what appeals to you. Decisions, decisions.

:-) at salsa and tacos. Yep.

My suggestion would be 3-4 nights (2-3 full days) in Vancouver. It is about a 2.5 hour drive from Whistler to the airport so if your flight out is later in the day you could drive right there. But if you have an early morning flight out, better to spend your last night in Van.

Edited: 6:26 pm, July 20, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,774 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Be aware the new "Chinatown" of Richmond is just suburban sprawl of modern retail strip malls and Asian style Shopping Centers.

It is not at all reminiscent of Chinatowns in NYC, San Francisco or what is left of Vancouver's original Chinatown.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Richmond is built on delta land from the Fraser River. It's basically an island of silt in the middle of the north and south arms of the Fraser River called Lulu Island. The water table is probably about a metre down. So there are no underground parking lots, no house basements. Everything is build on concrete pads. On the following satellite view, the blue line takes you from Aberdeen Station down to Lansdowne Mall. You can see how "suburban" mall, mini WalMart property it looks like. So it's not a place where you walk down narrow streets with chickens in the shop windows. You have to go for the food and for the spectacle of the contents of the shopping malls.

http://goo.gl/maps/6MLNB

Miami, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

All.

thanks for the feedback. I'm considering a stay at Granville Island Hotel. Seems like it's not in the middle of downtown but very close to it and still centralized...Any thoughts on this hotel?

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
319 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Granville Island Hotel is a good option - I live very close to this hotel. It is in a quiet area and on the water so the views are quite nice. Granville Island itself will be a great place to visit - nice restaurants, nice public market, local brewery etc. The hotel is close to downtown - only a short trip on the #50 bus.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

Nice hotel, I love the restaurant there. GI sort of "rolls up the sidewalks" after about 7 pm. There are a few restaurants on the Island and The Arts Club Theatre's GI Stage and Revue Stage, so some life. Getting downtown means walking to Anderson and 3rd Avenue for the #50 bus downtown. About an 8-10 minute walk. One of the harbour taxis from downtown operates until about 10 pm. Unless you go whole hog and have a rental car for your time in Vancouver. Wait, GIH only charged $15 per night for parking. Whoaaaaa, grab it!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,774 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

GIH is great.

It's a very different experience. If you are a "morning" person....you will love it. Terrific to go and get coffee and a pastry or some fruit at the Market and and sit by the water and watch the city come to life.

Granville Island is a lovely oasis in the heart of the city.

Go for it!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

There is plenty of salsa and Latin dancing in Vancouver.

Sample event listing: http://www.vancouverlatinfever.com/events with lots of downtown options.

Separately, you might enjoy a visit to the Richmond Night Market, which runs until the week after your stay.

GI Hotel is in a picturesque location, and conveniently located for boat/canoe/kayak rentals. The island includes live theater venues, indoor market, several restaurants/bars, and a plethora of artisan studios. There are several options for morning sustenance. 15-30 minute walk to downtown, depending on how long you stand on the bridge watching the water :)

10. Re: Vancouver arriving Oct 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 23, 2015