We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Helston, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Hi,

I am struggling to find much about this supposed issue!

I am visiting Vancouver and the Rockies for 3 weeks during July. A family member did the same thing around 5 years ago and he has advised me and my OH to not depend on taking money out of Canadian ATMs as mostly our UK bank cards will not work.

I have done some research and I haven't been able to find much other than a brief mention from tripadvisor that some users reported issues back in 2008.

I really do not want to use travel cards as I have had bad experiences with them before and I was planning on just withdrawing cash from ATMs as it's miles easier.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone else had issues or has anyone been successful in using them?

Any help would be apprciated :)

Rachael x

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,248 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Rachael..we get literally thousands of visitors from the UK and I can't ever remember anyone posting this as a problem. If it was I'm sure we'd hear about it loud and clear :)

Check with your bank or look at the back of your bank card for the various symbols such as PLus, Interac,cirrus...these will correspond to various banks here that will have a reciprocal arrangement with your bank. Your bank can tell you if you should use for example, Royal Bank here or Scotia Bank or one of the many other options.

Most people here use 4 digit pin numbers which I think is also the standard in the UK and cards have a chip in them as well for security.

Be sure to tell your bank that you'll be using both your CCard and your atm while in Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

I would also check with your bank about your daily and weekly limits on your card. Most people just take out a bit of cash for small purchases and use their credit card for the major ones. Of course you will have to check with your bank about the fees they may charge for using your credit card out of the country.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Hi RACHAEL ~

Your bank will be a member of an international network of banks. Find out which banks they are affiliated with in Canada. Learn the logo on the back of your card and head for machines showing the same logo. Use an ATM that is physically next to an actual bank, rather than an ATM away from a bank foyer.

I have tried to take money out of an ATM several times in the States and been refused. I moved down the street, found another ATM which gave me my money. May have been that "network" issue I mentioned above.

Arrange a maximum daily withdrawal limit with your bank. Withdrawing from an ATM will incur a transaction fee (usually a flat rate) by your bank. Find out what it is. Then be aware that taking out a larger amount (to last longer) will be less expansive than paying the individual transaction fees for smaller amounts.

The exchange rate between £ and $ will be good at an ATM.

CCard fees have been mentioned: mainly for their exchange rate and a possible CC surcharge for each foreign transaction.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

My Lloyds debit card worked in ATM's displaying the visa symbol, and credit card transaction fees were literally pennies, The only thing I found was that the menu on the ATM came up with "savings, chequing or credit" I just pressed credit and got my money, do tell the bank you will be in Canada though so the don't block your transactions due to security! You may want to look at the Halifax clarity credit card that is free to use abroad, but TBH my Lloyds credit card didn't work out to expensive for purchases, (I would never withdraw cash on a credit card though!!)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Savings, chequing or credit and pressing credit will give you a cash advance against your credit card. That is expensive money. The other two options simply withdraw your own cash interest free.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

I put my debit card in and it let me have money?? Nothing odd on bank statement either..

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,248 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Jeannette I'm surprised as well. Have you looked at your credit card statement? Usually that would act as a cash advance with interest charges. Normally here at least you'd either pick checking or savings depending on which account you have linked to your bank card/debit card.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Jeannette, you do say you used your debit card in the ATMs. The confusion is coming from the difference here between debit (bank) cards and credit cards. When we use a credit card to withdraw money, it is considered a cash advance, incurring interest charges from the moment you "borrow" the money. Debit cards do not act this way.

When you say "savings, chequing or credit ... and pressing credit," the "credit" part of that means a different process here and is confusing things. We just would not use a debit card to take a credit, we would take a withdrawal. We would use a CC to take a cash advance (credit) from an ATM.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

Aha! Found the confusion - it was my debit mastercard i popped in at a bank, so no charge as such for cash advances as you preload the card! I did use my "regular" debit card for a withdrawal at the airport, just a couple of pounds charge on that, but took a decent amount so wrote that down to expenses! My actual credit card never goes near an ATM!! Apologies for the confusion!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Withdrawing cash from canadian ATM's using a UK bank card

This thread is making me feel nostalgic for travellers cheques :(