We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night only--pick a restaurant

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
One night only--pick a restaurant

We have one night in Vancouver with no plans. Our second is filling up. First time there. Fun question: If you had one night, one restaurant, where would you choose?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

http://vancouverkaidesushi.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

Vancouver is a restaurant city. There are so many kinds of restaurants to recommend, it kind of depends on what you're seeking, your budget, and what kind of scene/menu you were seeking.

Re: Sam's suggestion... Sushi would be a good plan for one night in Vancouver. Kaide is delicious - not a special occasion restaurant, but Vancouver's a casual kind of town, so perfectly fitting. I took a visiting travel writer to Kaide last year. He was from Boston, and couldn't get over the quality of the sushi, and that we could dine on sashimi and sake, and other items, and the bill only came to $40 (including tax and tip) for the both of us.

Edited: 6:41 pm, May 18, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

If you looking for the best steak in the city go to Hy's the outside is non descript but the inside is very nice, great waiters and great food, Hy's has been around for over 40 years. Click the link below to see what Hy's has to offer.

http://hyssteakhouse.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

Other restaurants I'd consider:

Chambar - Belgian-inspired bistro downtown

Maenam - gourmet Thai restaurant in Kitsilano

Absinthe Bistro - French Bistro on Commercial Drive

L'Abattoir - French influenced west coast fare in Gastown

Bishop's - a special occasion intimate restaurant by Chef John Bishop who has been focusing on local, seasonable cuisine in Vancouver for decades, long before it became a trend

Kitanoya Guu or Kingyo - Vibrant Japanese izakaya restaurants (Japanese small plates) in the West End

Dinesty - for modern Shanghainese Chinese (especially their famed Xio Long Bao) in the West End

Vancouver is famous for its local west coast cuisine (emphasizing local seafood such as salmon, and fresh local produce) as well as its Asian cuisine, especially Chinese and Japanese. Focus on these styles if you only have limited time.

Edited: 6:50 pm, May 18, 2014
York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

You are all awesome! Thank you for such fast and great answers. I will look all of these up and please keep them coming.

"Vancouver is famous for its local west coast cuisine (emphasizing local seafood such as salmon, and fresh local produce)"

This sounds like what we were thinking of. We can't pay $300 a person, but don't mind splurging for a special meal.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,346 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

I mentioned Bistro Pastis on another of your threads.

Good list from Robyn.

Bishops is indeed special. And has been for years....It's "go to" occasion place for us.

La Buca is excellent Italian.

+1 for L'Abbatoir.

La Quercia and Campagnolo for excellent Italian as well.

Edited: 7:58 pm, May 18, 2014
Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

Zoom it what kind of food

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. Do you mean narrow down the kind of cuisine we want? If so, good suggestion.

I was just curious what other people would choose if they only could pick one place to go from all of the city's great spots.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

You'd have to work really hard at splurging to pay $300 per person at a Vancouver restaurant. ;) Needless to say, I think you can splurge and dine and eat really well in this city, and still only pay $75 per person at the end of your night. It's the booze (and the BC government's extortionate alcohol tax) that'll end up skyrocketing the bill, not the price of the food. If you're on a budget, don't splurge on the booze - limit yourself to a cocktail and a glass of wine to keep things in check.

So if you're seeking local, regional foods, one new restaurant that has been getting a lot of attention is Farmer's Apprentice. I haven't been yet, but it might be worth considering. It's been winning a lot of restaurant awards locally: http://www.farmersapprentice.ca/

Another restaurant that you might want to put on your radar is Forage: http://www.foragevancouver.com/. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think this might be your place. It's casual fine dining in a hip but unpretentious atmosphere, kind of a small local neighbourhood vibe, but they're all about local ingredients and sustainability, and the food is delicious, and is meant to be shared, so you can try a lot of different items.

If you want it upscale, consider West Restaurant or Hawksworth. Hawksworth has a 6 course tasting menu for $98 ($148 with wine pairings). I've always loved my meal there. Portions are also not microscopic, like one may expect. A modern take on upscale. West is more traditional, but has been a top contender in regional cuisine for many years.

Finally, there's Yew Seafood & Bar. Chef Ned Bell is a rock star, and is a huge advocate for local, sustainable seafood. It's a lively swanky restaurant - great people watching.

Edited: 10:12 pm, May 18, 2014
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night only--pick a restaurant

Another vote for Yew