We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedgwood v. four seasons

miami, FL
13 posts
Save Topic
wedgwood v. four seasons

Any thoughts? I am visiting vancouver for the first time, I have one day/night and would like to stay in a nice hotel located close to main sights.

Thanks

Gibsons BC
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wedgwood v. four seasons

these two hotels are only about 2 to 3 blocks away from each other and both right in the downtown core.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wedgwood v. four seasons

My wife and I have stayed at both. They're both very nice. The Wedgewood is smaller and much more personal. The rooms are large and you can get a suite at a reasonable price. The room decor is formal / English (with lots of floral patterns). The lobby is small and it has a good clubby restaurant/ bar. The Four Seasons is more modern and is connected to a shopping mall. From a high floor at the Four Seasons, you can get a nice view of the water and mountains. From the Wedgewood, one side looks over the Law Courts and its rooftop garden (nice) and the other side overlooks a back alley and loading dock (not nice).

They are within a few blocks of one another and are both close to Robson Street which is a main shopping street and are a healthy but do-able walk to Stanley Park and other attractions. For a first time in Vancouver, the location of either is great though you might also check out hotels right on the waterfront (Fairmont Waterfront. Pan Pacific).

We also really liked the Opus which is in Yaletown. Yaletown is not a touristy area but has lots of unique shops and many many restaurants.

miami, FL
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wedgwood v. four seasons

thanks so much! I have been reading good things about Opus and think I'm leaning towards it given its location.

We are planning to arrive in Vancouver from Victoria and then we need to get to Seattle. Do you by any chance have ideas/recommendations on best transportation options? We want to maximize our time in Vancouver, so fastes is preferable. Do you agree that renting a car is best way to get to seattle?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedgwood v. four seasons

The Victoria Clipper runs fast ferries between Seattle and Victoria. Unfortunately, there is no ferry betwen Vancouver and Seattle. The fastest way would be to fly (Alaska Air used to have cheap flights). Otherwise renting a car is the next fastest. The drive isn't bad but sometimes there's delays at the border, particularly entering the US, so leave extra time.

If you were flexible regarding the order of the trip, you can go Seattle to Victoria to Vancouver OR Vancouver to Victoria to Seattle. Then you can take fast ferries between downtown Seattle and downtown Victoria and between the Victoria and Vancouver areas (though not downtown) you can take BC Ferries or you can take seaplanes from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver. Seaplanes are fast and are not that expensive (though more than the ferry) and they are an experience.

We LOVED the Opus. The neighborhood is like SOHO and is not touristy. Staying closer to Robson Street or on the Waterfront would put you more in the touristy areas. That's not to say it's not a good location for tourists. It is a fun location. A few blocks from the Opus, you can take the Aquabus to Granville Island and you can rent bikes to ride along the seawall all the way to Stanley Park. The city is very walkable so you can get a lot of places in a reasonable walk from there though you also can get a ride in the hotel Mercedes where you want to go downtown for free (other than tip).