We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions related to our trip

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
7 posts
Save Topic
Some questions related to our trip

Hi,

We have 2 families (Total 12 persons) to take the cruise to Alaska on Aug 2nd, 2014. We will fly from east coast of USA to Vancouver on July 29th. Our cruise will leave at 4:30pm, and check in time is between 12:00 to 3:30pm.

Here is my current plan:

1) Plan to browse the city on half day of July 29th and whole day of 30th. Both families have young kids (from 6 to 14), and seniors (70+). Our hotel will be Comfort Inn Downtown Vancouver on 654 Nelson Street. What is the best way from the Airport to there? By Sky Train?

2) I read that most people recommending public transportation in the city. Is that good option with families with young kids and seniors? We are interested in "Stanley Park/Englis Bay" and "Queen Elizabeth Park", as our trip is family oriented. Are these places easily accessed by public transportation? Any other recommendation for family?

3) On 31st, our plan is to rent cars and try "SEA TO SKY HIGHWAY", as it is highly suggested by other friends being there before.

4) For Aug 1st, our plan is to drive to "Victoria island" and stay there for one night. On Aug 2nd morning, we plan to leave "Victoria island" and head to the port in Vancouver. This is the part that I worry about, as it is quite far between these 2 places. If we want to catch the cruise without risks, does the above plan sound reasonable?

5) My another question is that any car rental places close to the port, so we can easily drop off the car on Aug 2nd?

It is a big trip for so many people, so please share any of you thoughts. Thanks

Edited: 1:23 pm, April 28, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions related to our trip

Hi ~

1). A taxi will cost about $35. Canada line will cost either $7.85 or $8.50 pp, including the airport leaving addfare.

2). Public transit is good and convenient. Consider going to Granville Island. The attractions you have mentioned only scratch the surface. Look in the Things to Do in the green menu bar to choose other things that interest you.

4). If you go to Victoria Island, you will be going to the high Arctic. Check the name again. If you go there, choose an earlier day. Don't return to Vancouver on the day of your cruise. You could do a day tour with Landsea Tours. That is about 13 hours and includes the 4 hours journey each way. It is a convenient way to enjoy a bit of Victoria and the lovely Butchart Gardens.

5). All major rental car agencies have locations downtown, some right at the cruise ship pier.

You can easily spend your days visiting Vancouver. Going to Vancouver Island is better with an overnight but it seem you want to cram a lot in a short time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions related to our trip

LOL. Don't feel bad about calling Vancouver Island, Victoria Island, it's a very common error. Just don't get us going on about West Vancouver, West Side of Vancouver and the West End of Vancouver. :)

Just a heads up. Monday, August 4th is BC Day a statutory holiday here and it will be busy. I would reserve your ferry etc ahead of time.

http://www.bcferries.com/res/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions related to our trip

Given the time frame and the size of your group, I can't comfortably recommend a trip to the capitol city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. As mentioned, it takes about 4 hours to travel by road and ferry between Vancouver and Victoria, however it only takes about 45 minutes to fly, so that is an option you might want to consider.

You might consider either the Sunshine Coast or Bowen Island instead, as destinations which include a very scenic ferry trip but overall a more manageable destination for a day trip.

The Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler is a lovely piece of road and it takes about 2 hours to get to Whistler, so you can spend a good chunk of your day in the village.

I would agree that you are perhaps cutting Vancouver short and missing some of the beautiful highlights. How fit are your 70+ year olds? Would they be fine with walks along forested trails? I suspect you have omitted the two suspension bridges on purpose, but please don't let that put you off seeing these beautiful forests.

metrovancouver.org/services/parks_lscr/regio…

No suspension bridges at this location, just fixed bridges over the canyon and some really amazing views.

Boston...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions related to our trip

Thanks everyone's suggestion. We will rethink about our plan based on feedback.

Very excited about this trip.

5. Re: Some questions related to our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 01, 2015