We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

Hi :)

I'm heading from Vancouver to Victoria for around a week and I have a large snowboard bag I would love to leave in Vancouver, rather than dragging it around Van Island.

I've heard Pacific Central Station do storage for customers (I am travelling to Victoria with Pacific Coaches return) does anyone know if they can accommodate for my snowboard bag and if they do any long term storage at all (7 days)

Thanks for your advice!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,733 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

I know that VIA Rail pax, PCL pax and other transpo companies that use PCS can use the storage for the day. But only on the days that VIA arrive as VIA staff run the counter service. I would think that a lengthy storage would not be possible.

Are you staying at a hotel in Van and coming back to the same hotel? Storing there would be your only hope. We are sorely lacking in this service.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

I thought maybe one of the regular storage places might offer storage for a week, so I took a page from Mufit's book and called a mini-storage in Yaletown. Nope. I asked if they knew of any place that did offer it downtown or area. Nope. They suggested the hotel's luggage room.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,733 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

I just called Tourism Vancouver who tells me that the reason there is no public luggage storage facility in Vancouver is for security reasons. Since 9/11 happened in NYC. Cruise ship pax and those taking transport out of Pacific Central Station, with tickets for that day, can store at those facilities. Otherwise, staying in a hotel and storing luggage there for the day can usually be done.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,663 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

That's pretty much the same situation all across Canada, and likely in the US as well. The only places I know who will store luggage are at the airports... what the cost is I'm not sure. There's a place at YVR

yvr.ca/en/…CDS-Ltd-Baggage-Services.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

Security? Maybe it's just me, but that seems a bit over the top. Is there actually a law preventing a business to operate short term storage or are businesses just afraid to offer it? It just doesn't add up to me. If someone wanted to store something, what difference does it make if it's a long term or short term storage service? Why store it in the first place? Someone really intending to do harm would leave it on a bus or the Skytrain.

My guess is that it just doesn't make business sense, since many hotels offer it and the need is not great enough.

Edited: 4:07 pm, April 26, 2014
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,663 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

Private companies can do storage . What has happened since 9/11 is airport, train and bus station lockers have been removed ... which is where most folks used to leave stuff. Here in the east all of those have been removed ...

7. Re: Long term baggage storage Pacific Central Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 28, 2015