We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Topic
Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

Hello,

Does anyone know whether the Grouse Mountain lumberjack show or the one you can see while on the Disney cruise to Alaska is better? Am trying to weigh whether it makes more sense to try to spend our short time in Vancouver doing other things (2.5 days) or it makes more sense to see the show in Vancouver and do another activity in place of the lumberjack show....unfortunately I'll have to book the cruise show long before I know whether the weather will be clear for the view from Grouse Mountain when we arrive in Vancouver.

Thanks so much!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

I have no experience with Grouse Mountain, but I assume that you are referring to the lumberjack show in Ketchikan which I have seen.

http://alaskanlumberjackshow.com/

We bought tickets at the gate the day we were there, but there were not many ships docked at that time so maybe we were lucky. Having watched genuine lumberjack competition, I thought that it was quite 'canned' but would be of interest if someone had no previous exposure, and the kids seem to like it a lot as the MC plays to them. The location is right beside the docks.

Ketchikan is one of the wettest locations in North America and the stands are under cover, but not the performance area. I cannot imagine that, unless an electrical storm was in the offing, a bit of weather would cancel the shows when the ships are in port.

dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-alas…

Edited: 12:09 am, April 24, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,863 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

When will you be here? The weather here is changeable in June, more stable in July - September. The lumberjack show up Grouse is entertaining. The players are loggers by trade. They chain saw a little chair each show and give it away to a little kid in the audience. They birl logs, they throw axes, race up and down poles, they chop blocks of wood (stumps) as well as a springboard chop, the hand saw (Swedish saw) a log. It's entertaining. They don't climb up to top a tree, though. :-)) The gondola ride is expensive, but once you're up there, the mountain is yours to explore.

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

Thanks for the quick replies! We will be there in August. Yes, it would be the Ketchikan show, so it is good to know that it might be possible to get tickets to the show at port if we do that. We are far from lumberjack show experts, so I guess we might not really know a good one from a bad one--just thought I'd see if anyone had seen both and might recommend one or the other!

Given the advice, maybe we can in fact play it by ear. Thanks again!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

It really would depend on how many ships were in port that day as to the availability of 'walk-up' tickets. Please advise which ship you are on and I can advise further.

Whoops - Disney. Watch this space.

Edited: 9:55 pm, April 24, 2014
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

Don't get me wrong, it is a good show, and I don't know about now but it used to be said to be a competition between the Alaskan and Canadian lumberjacks. That element was a bit canned for us as we have watched genuine World Championship Lumberjack competitions here in Oz

Disney Wonder docks in Ketchikan on a Saturday. Depending on the date of your cruise the only other ship in port will be Norwegian Sun one week or Silver Shadow the other week. Sun carries a bit over 2,000 passengers and Shadow not quite 400. Your ship, with 2,400 passengers, will be docked 1115 hrs to 1945 hrs and on a Saturday the lumberjack shows are on at 1200, 1415 and 1615 hrs. Sun is docked at almost the same times as Wonder, but Shadow arrives early and sails at 1400 hrs.

If you are sailing Aug 4 or 18 then it will be Shadow in Ketchikan, or Sun if you are sailing Aug 11 or 25.

I would be inclined to book if you want to see it - $35 direct on-line.

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

thanks very much, frommy. appreciate the insight!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

Lumberjack shows?

What's next-selling jewelry to people?

8. Re: Grouse Mountain or Disney cruise lumberjack show?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 26, 2015