We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

I have a layover coming up in Vancouver in July, my boyfriend and I arrive 4pm and leaving at 8am the next morning. We're staying at a hotel near the airport and would love to experience the city as much as we can within that time frame. Any suggestions on must-see's/do's near the general area? It'll be our first time here.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

Welcome to the forum denyseee ~

It will take you about an hour to come through Canadian Customs and another 20-30 minutes to wait for the hotel shuttle, go to the hotel, check in. Then another 15-20 minutes to take the shuttle back to Bridgeport Station for the Canada Line into town.

There's not a heck of a lot to do around the airport at that time of night. The airport is in Richmond, the next city south of Vancouver and 30 minutes away.

I would come straight in to city centre to Waterfront Station in 26 minutes, then walk the Coal Harbour Seawall west to Stanley Park. Spend time in Stanley Park, maybe rent bikes at Spokes (Denman and Georgia). Then grab a bite to eat on Denman St at one of the dozens of eateries there.

If you happen to be here on a fireworks night, you could enjoy that starting at 10h00 or 10h30 I believe from English Bay. You and 200,000 other Vancouver "friends." You laugh! knowing your own NYE fireworks. :-))) (Which I Youtube every year!) But we do an okay job with a barge out in the harbour acting as the launch pad for the booms and bangs.

http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/

Gastown would be an option with its stores along Water Street (about an hour) and its pubs, bars and eateries.

Last Canada Line back to the airport from Waterfront Station will be 1h05 am.

General idea of airport to Vancouver: http://goo.gl/maps/asjcw

Here is a plan you could walk or cycle (Spokes Cycles is at Pin D) in about 2 hours, minimum if you stop to oooh and aaah. From Pin K, head back down Denman to Spokes to return the bikes, then get on to Gastown. After Gastown, walk 5 minutes to Waterfront and head back to the airport. Sunset here in July is about 9 pm, with about a half hour of twilight after that.

http://goo.gl/maps/y9q0y

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

Wow! Thank you so much for your in-depth reply! I'll definitely jot down everything you mentioned, especially the map we can follow walking/biking. I just checked the dates for the fireworks and unfortunately we're arriving early July and on a Monday :( it would have been amazing to watch!

Thanks again for your help! Looking very forward to my short time there already!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

It's a pleasure. Make sure you read the Top Questions that interest you to the right of the page as well. My, you are an early bird!! :-)) And read other questions being asked on this forum and answers being given, even to p. 2, 3, 4. Nuggets of good info by doing that. Honest thievery, that!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

Given your entire schedule, you might want to consider staying in town. The hotel will probably be more expensive, so that's a consideration, but it is very easy to get on Skytrain right at the airport terminal and be right in the centre of the city. You would need to be on an early train back to the airport - the first one leaves Waterfront just before 5 am - but it would allow you to just relax and enjoy the heart of the city for that one night without having to deal with getting back out to an airport hotel.

Very similar situation to Sydney really. We had our last night in Wynard and caught a 6 am train out to the airport, rather than staying in a hotel out by the airport. We had a wonderful last night wandering around the Rocks and taking photos of the bridge and Opera House all lit up. Staying out by the airport and missing all that would have been a drag. It was worth dealing with the early start in the morning to steal that last night of vacation.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
106 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

+1 for getting a hotel downtown and an early train to the airport in the morning. Sunset will be around 9:20pm that time of year.

Edited: 11:16 am, April 22, 2014
6. Re: Layover in Vancouver (16hr)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 24, 2015