We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

Hello,

we will be travelling from NZ to Canada skiing in Jan15 with our two daughters. This year we are all due for a gear upgrade so thought instead of waiting until we are there rather than pay the price that we get charged down here.

Prior to the big road trip we have 4 nights in Vancouver, so it makes sense to get all our gear there.

We would prefer new, but also would consider good second hand stuff for the kids ( growing feet.....) so ideally would like a shop, or shops, that have good numbers, sales, ex demos etc etc. Happy to drive around a bit looking.

Any recommended store names would be much appreciated.

Our ski road trip is Vancouver-Whistler-Sun Peaks-Lake Louise-Banff dropping off our rental in Calgary. What are the better companys that offer 4wd - any recommendations please people? Total rental would be around 20 days

Thanks kindly in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

hello, I would recommend sport junkies on located 102 west Broadway and cheapskates 3644 w 16th ( 2nd hand). There is sports check / Mountain Equipment coop very popular here and just around the corner from sport junkies on Broadway with the new stuff. The app and website Yelp is big here if you are looking for car rental just plug whatever you are looking for there on yelp and there will be ratings of what the locals think about business that is worthwhile your time and money.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,078 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

Hi Simon;

>>"What are the better companys that offer 4wd..."<<

It is my opinion that operating a 4x4, without genuine winter driving experience, usually gets a driver into MORE trouble as a 4x4 provides a false sense of security, which causes the driver to become over confident.

4 wheel drives, even all wheel drives, will only help you when trying to get unstuck, which is a situation you want to avoid in the first place. Plus, SUVs / 4x4 are heavier than a car. The extra weight causes extra momentum, which makes them harder to stop !

Driving in the winter takes genuine experience, and through the Rockies, even more so. Without considerable winter driving experience I would NOT suggest starting to learn how to drive in winter conditions, in an unfamiliar rental car, in the Rocky Mountains !

I would suggest reading the Traveller Article "Winter Driving in Canada", here on TA.

www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003

Best Regards

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

>> we are all due for a gear upgrade

Sounds to me like the OP and his family are experienced skiers, and probably have some experience driving in a NZ winter.

Simon, rather than focussing on AWD or 4WD, I'd be sure to get a vehicle that is equipped with winter tires. Not very many rental cars or SUVs are, even though they are required by law on most BC highways from October through April.

Is it absolutely set that you are flying in to Vancouver, and out from Calgary? If you did it the other way around, buying your ski gear in Calgary, you would save 7%, since Alberta has no provincial sales tax.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

Agree ... winter tires are a must, and more helpful than 4WD.

Check with Canadian Affair for rentals without one way drop fees. Although whether they offer that service in winter I'm unsure.

http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

I agree….you would save a pile of money buying your ski gear in Calgary which also has a pile of ski stores. Lanna mentioned most of the main stores to check out.

For used…Kijiji.com is another place to look.

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

Hey folks thanks some interesting points raised that we will definitely consider. Especially the reverse order.

We are experienced winter road drivers by the way ( even lived in Siberia for a winter lol ).

Many thanks to all of you for your time and help.

7. Re: Buying Ski Gear in Vancouver and 4wd SUV vehicle rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 07, 2015