We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
walking

1. I will be arriving in Vancouver in June 2014. I would like to know if you can walk from the train station to the Skwachays Lodge. I know how long it will take to walk but I would like to know if it accessible for walking?

2. Also Is it accessible to walk from Skwachays Lodge to Canada Place?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking

Are you sure that's where you want to stay?

Vancouver really has only one "sketchy" neighbourhood and Skwachays Lodge is right in the heart of it.

Yes, you could walk from the train station and yes can walk form the Lodge to Canada Place easily.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking

if you go to google maps, and plunk in the locations, you can then click to street view and do the actual walk between the locations.

Not sure what you mean by "accessible" ... it is sidewalk walking the entire trip.... each direction.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking

I hadn't heard of this place so I looked it up Certainly intriguing and a neat concept. It is on the edge of Chinatown, a block south of the the sketchy area that was mentioned. It is not an unsafe area and you can easily avoid the sketchy part on you way to Canada Place by not crossing Hastings Street until you reach Richards Street.

It is sort of a mantra here, but Vancouver's downtown is quite small and easily walkable to any point within it.

Edited: 6:59 pm, March 10, 2014
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking

10 minute walk north (to your right) on Main Street and left on Pender. Main St in that area is a mix of modern high rises, a few bars, the Jimi Hendricks museum and the beginning of China Town. Canada Place is about the same distance west along a fairly uninteresting stretch of Pender St and north on Howe St. All is accessible by foot and for wheeled luggage.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking

The walk will take about 15-20 minutes and the entire way is flat. You can take the #19 bus which will be about 3-5 min to the hotel or the train 1 stop west bound and then walk about 3-5 minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking

We usually use the word accessible here when we talk about disabilities and wheelchairs/canes/walkers, etc. just a heads up there.

For walking it is fine, easy, flat walking, both the 1 km to Swachay and another km to Canada Place. It's in a fairly decent street with International Village almost across the street. It's come alive since they made the underground parking free. So shops, food outlets and the cineplex.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: walking

I've met people who stayed @ Skwachays Lodge-they really liked the place.

If you're looking for outstanding food nearby check out Canra in the food court of International Village-delicious food & outstanding value

http://www.canra.ca/

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking

yes, depends on the weather if you want to walk it or not, sunny or cloudy day will take about 15 - 20min with small carry on luggage. Rainy days same amount of time just maybe bother some for a few people, would then turn out to a few dollars for a cab ride!

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking

Definitely within walkin distance, never mind datthecoast. You are looking at a 15 - 20 min walk with your carry on, anything more, best to cab it! You can also go back on Skytrain and catch Millennium or Expo Line and hop off at Stadium Station and walk down stairs to Abbott St, and take a left, down to West Pender, take a right and 3/4 way down you'll see a House (Totem) Pole on top of Hotel!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking

I hope the OP (az201013) found a suitable solution when he visited last June.