We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Hi

We are from Australia and will be in Vancouver in July/August 2014 and I am looking for a particular restaurant that I found when trawling the internet last year but now cant find it again as I didnt write down its name. Im not even sure it was in Vancouver. The interesting thing about this restaurant is that it stored its wine high up against the walls of the restaurant and the staff were in harnesses and bounced up from the floor to up high to retrieve your wine selection and bring it back down to your table. So if anyone knows where in the world it is I would appreciate finding out. Thankyou

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Pretty sure its not here

Slave Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Google "wine angel". Looks like one place in Zurich and one in Las Vegas

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

It wasn't Black + Blue was it? I remember something similar when I was looking at it?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

The wine wall at http://www.joeyrestaurants.com/bentall-one doesn't look high enough but might be worth exploring. Some photos are on the site.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Aureole in Las Vegas.

www.charliepalmer.com/aureole-las-vegas/

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

That sort of idiotic gimmick wouldn't fly in Vancouver -people here just aren't that shallow-not most of them anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Sam's comment is interesting.

My favourite wine storage "solution" is in Provence in the tiny little town of Coustellet. The restaurant is called Maison Gouin. After you are seated, you are invited to go down into the restaurant's wine cellar and choose your wine. So, you go down the spiral staircase to the dirt-floored wine cellar, choose your bottle from one the bins then bring it back up to your table where Madame will open it for you.

It's perfect.

My wife and I always laugh when we are there that it could never be replicated in North America because restaurant owners would no doubt find a way to "kitsch it up."

Slave Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

I'm a little confused as to how appreciation of waitstaff performing acrobatic flourishes while ascending and descending a wine cliff is shallow? Given the enthusiasm for all things mountain and climbing related in this part of the country I would think this would be a great fit for the west coast. Last time I checked Vancouver was a city of many individuals with a multitude of tastes, one person's kitsch is another persons bliss, and without actually checking it out don't you think it's a bit difficult to judge which one it will be?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

Greyj:

It's purely economics.

Aureole is a fine dining restaurant in Las Vegas that seats over 400 guests.

It's in a hotel with over 3,300 rooms.

Their wine inventory is over 20,000 bottles.

There is no fine dining restaurant in Vancouver close to that size.

The biggest hotel in Vancouver has about 700 rooms.

Vancouver sees maybe 8 million visitors a year.

Las Vegas sees over 40 million.

Nobody is going to invest the $$$ to build 3 story "wine tower" in a restaurant in Vancouver. They would be bankrupt in a heartbeat.

10. Re: Restaurant with interesting wine storage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 04, 2015