We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Old Lyme
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Getting off a cruise on a Saturday morning in early August. I know PCL provides service to downtown Victoria from this location but not until 11 AM thus not arriving until 3:20 in Victoria.Hope to get off ship early-by 8:30 or so--so hope to get to Tsawwassen Ferry via public transportation. Can I do this?...and how? Also-once in Victoria...is it easy to get public transportation into the center of Victoria? Thank you!

calgary
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Even with taking public transportation from the cruise port out to Tswassen you'll probably be getting on the 11:00 a.m. ferry - so spending time transferring from one bus to another and only saving an hour. Once you get to Sidney (on Vancouver Island where the ferry terminal is) its about a 40 minute drive into downtown Victoria. Once onboard the ferry you can arrange to get on the PCL bus for the ride from ferry into downtown or again, struggle with your luggage on public buses.

Personally I would just wait until the 11:00 PCL bus at the cruise, get on it, luggage goes underneath, have a lovely ferry ride, get off in downtown Victoria - so much easier then slepping luggage on and off public buses.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

+1 for PCL.

However, you take Canada Line from Waterfront Station to Bridgeport Station, transfer to the #620 Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal bus which departs that station every hour on the hour. Arrive at the terminal in time to buy your walk on ferry ticket, walk the long overhead walkway and board the ferry. Takes about an hour on transit. On the other side, walk off the long overhead walkway to the curb outside and take the #70 bus into Victoria, about an hour. 4 hours in total. PCL is 4 hours as well, but with no need to handle your luggage.

Disembarking the ship is done by priority, with that given to pax who have onward bookings departing mid-day, then afternoon and so on. There will be a form to fill in on board as you are approaching Vancouver.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Your other option is to pack light and take Harbor Air flight form downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria..35 minutes..flights leave every hour approx..weight limit on luggage. you won't really save any time by doing public transit and people will be let off the cruise ship based on ongoing flights etc so I wouldn't count on being off by 8:30.

If you were off by 8:30 you would need to take Canada Line to Bridgeport station then transfer to the bus which goes at about 9 am ( you would probably not make this bus) and then at 9:45 am which will get you to the 11am ferry.. so as noted you'll only save 1 hour plus you'll actually lose time at the other end as you'll have to do public transit as I believe PCl is only doing buses every other hour now which is why there is no 10 am PCL departure from Vancouver. PCL may change their schedule back to hourly in the summer if there's enough demand....

typing same time as Mufti right now the 620 shows at 9 am and then 9:45 not sure what it will be in summer...

Edited: 4:59 pm, February 28, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Just a heads up. PCL catches the ferry every two hours on the odd hour all year, except for special weekends, like Victoria Day, Canada Day and BC Day, etc, when they add extra service, usually on the Fridays and Mondays. They leave Vancouver about 1 hour 15 min ahead of ferry departure time in order to get to the terminal for those odd hour ferries. The coach that leaves Vancouver during morning rush allows for this by departing 1.5 hours before ferry departure.

Just rereading your OP, you say >>from this location but not until 11h00<< do you mean the coach picks you up at Canada Place at 11? In previous conversations with PCL, they do all that sweeping of pax ahead of their regular departure time, then loop back to the depot for their regular departure time from there. Something you might check with PCL. If I am correct, you would be then in line for the 11h45 depot departure and the 1 pm ferry departure and yes, 3h30 arrival in Victoria.

I notice also, that you may be here on BC Day long weekend, officially the first Monday in August. Not to worry if you reserve on PCL, a bit more to be concerned about if you are hauling your own luggage on public transport on that weekend.

You realize that you will have to come through Canada Customs at the pier? The line ups for taxis will be insane.

I see there will be a 10h45 PCL departure from Pacific Central Station daily all summer, which means on your day. Now this could work, but you must RESEARCH. Fill out the on board form stating your onward travel on PCL at 10h45. You would need to reserve seats on the coach and could do so a couple of days/a week ahead. They need numbers to be able to bring in the requisite number of coaches and drivers. Your disembarkation will be prioritized. If you don't have much luggage, you could make your way to Waterfront Station and take the skytrain to Main Station. $2.75 pp. Walk 5 min to the bus depot in time to load your luggage under the coach and get on by 9h30. If you have a lot of luggage and need a taxi, then all bets are off, as I said above, the line ups for a taxi will be long.

This has taken so long to type, think, type (and fix all the auto spelling typos) that I'm sure 3 others have posted this ahead of me!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,238 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

+1 for taking the flight. If its just so critical that you get to Victoria earlier in the day, that's the way to go.

Old Lyme
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Thank you all SO much for your great information...very helpful! Also..we will be there during BC Long Weekend ...which is news to me..so very glad you mentioned it!!! Is the Skytrain the same as the Canada line? When we eventually go to the airport for our Monday evening flight back to CT...we plan to use public transportation.....since we will have checked our baggage at our hotel that morning to relieve us from having to tote it around all day...when we return to pick it up, we want to be close to the Canada Line for easy airport access...so if a hotel says close to Skytrain...is that the same or different from the Canada Line?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Skytrain is the overall service like calling it the Underground or the Metro. Canada Line is north and south to/from the airport and there are two east/west lines called Millennium and Expo Lines. Millennium Line and Expo were built first and are often referred to as Skytrain so it can be confusing. Canada Line does not share platforms with the other two. There is a fourth, called Evergreen Line, under construction but with no downtown platforms. You'll need to know which line the hotel is close to.

Edited: 11:54 am, March 01, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,238 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

I think there's a bit of debate. I'm with Alegre - Skytrain is the whole system of light rail transit trains (we also have a regular train called the West Coast Express which is not considered part of the Skytrain system), and then each line has a name, with Canada Line out to Richmond and the airport being one of them. However there are people who will debate that and say that Canada Line is not the same as Skytrain because the trains stick to their tracks and do not go between Canada Line and the Expo/Millenium/Evergreen lines.

You should know that the system IS integrated and one ticket is good across the system. Also that Canada Line meets the other lines at Waterfront Station, so if you end up at a hotel that is actually on one of the other lines, you just have to take the train to Waterfront and switch to a train to the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

Yes, Canada Line is one of our 3 skytrain lines. 26 minutes from downtown to the Airport. Take the train that says "YVR-Airport" not "Brighouse." Here is an article outlining downtown hotels and their proximity to the Canada Line.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c128060/Vanco…

Here's a system map showing the light blue Canada Line to the airport. Waterfront, Vancouver City Centre and Yaletown-Roundhouse Stations are downtown.

…translink.ca/System_Maps/92/SkyTrainSystemM…

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from Canada Place Cruise Port to Victoria?

No debate according to translink.ca/en/…SkyTrain.aspx

BTW, there is now an article in Top Questions under Transport.