We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vancover to calgary return

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Randwick, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
vancover to calgary return

Hi all, My husband and I are visiting to Canada for the first time. We arrive in vancover 6 May and then we want to experience the beauty and culture of canada and the rockies. We have three weeks where we are hoping to visit victoria,Jaspar, Banff, lake louise, walk on a glacier, and spend 4 or 5 days visiting a friend in Calgary .

Question 1. Is it best to self drive or take the rocky mountaineer train ?

Question 2. What is the most scenic route to calgary and then what is the alternate route back?

Question 3. What is the suggested top overs and how many days in each?

Question 4. What is your top three not to be missed experiences

Many thanks fellow travellers

Jane

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: vancover to calgary return

Calgary? to visit with friends.

Randwick, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: vancover to calgary return

Calgary is to visit with friends and many friends from USA are coming up there just to see us as well. So it needs to be quite a few days. But I am happy to change my mind about Kamloops....will revisit alternatives suggested. Thankyou for your replys. Will follow up what you have said

Many thanks . Jane

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: vancover to calgary return

What about Clinton. Just 30 min or so up Hwy 5 from Kamloops.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: vancover to calgary return

Jane, to answer your question in post #15 ... I mentioned Saltspring Island because it is one of the bigger, more populated of the Gulf Islands, and one of the easier ones to get to.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: vancover to calgary return

In Post 12 I've provided a couple of maps for alternate routes to Jasper. Even if you stick with the most direct route through Kamloops, I would carry on past Kamloops that day.

Given your new itinerary with the cruise (assuming you continue with that plan), I would seriously look at just flying back to Vancouver from Calgary.

Randwick, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: vancover to calgary return

Hi all, as I am in Canada and may never get the chance to come back again I decided to try the cruise mentioned. It will take me to Junea, 1pm to 10 pm; skagway 7am to 9pm and ketchikan 10am to 6pm.

I would like to whale watch, ride on a dog sled, and visit something special that I cant see anywhere else.

Can I do any of those things in any of these towns in May...and what towns are best for each and do you know of any good independent companies to book through...or should I wait to book with the company on the day?

Also, can you mention the most popular day trips for each town.

Many thanks in advanced

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: vancover to calgary return

G'day Jane,

You are still on the Vancouver forum. The places you are asking about are around 1300 kms as the crow flies from Vancouver. That is about 200 kms further than Sydney to Adelaide as the crow flies. Would you ask a question about Adelaide on the Sydney forum? Did you not think that asking the above questions on the Alaska forum might be more productive? Mufti pointed you in that direction at #19.

Please post on the Alaska forum, but reword your question to drop the Canada reference, as that is irrelevant, and include the date of your sailing from Vancouver. Also be specific in stating that you are on a HAL round trip cruise.

In general, however, assuming you are on Volendam:

Whale watching in Juneau. Harv & Marv are highly recommended for very small group trips (6 to 12 people) or Orca Enterprises (up to 20). The ship bookings are on vessels with 100/150 people cramming the rails for photos. H&M will also drop you off free of charge at Mendenhall Glacier, but you would need to get a taxi back into Juneau from there as the shuttle bus stops at 6pm. There is a current thread on the AK forum about this very thing. You have left it very late to book with either very popular company though.

To dog sled on snow/ice you would need a VERY expensive heli flight to a glacier from either Juneau or Ketchikan (I think). There are dog sled rides in the Yukon available from Skagway in wheeled sleds though.

Go to the HAL website - download the excursion list - study it - see what ports offer what options - pick a few ones that interest you (your interests/budget may be different to mine) and ONLY THEN post on the AK forum asking about good private providers of such trips. The local operators may not be much difference in price from the ship prices, but they will be much more personal, and sometimes longer with a better added options..In each port there most probably be operators at the docks offering similar, but these will be the ones who do not have advance bookings, i.e. not those usually recommended on the AK forum or in cruising circles.

If you do as I suggest then I could assist further.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Ala…

28. Re: vancover to calgary return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, March 16, 2015