We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airlines from SFO to YVR

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which airlines from SFO to YVR

I have searched and found that West Jet, United, and Air Canada seem to be the only non-stop carriers to YVR from SFO. Anyone ever flown West Jet? They are a few dollars cheaper, but only have one daily non-stop and it's early morning. I have never flown them, and I am inclined to fly United. It seems that I can earn United miles on AC. Just curious about any insights folks might have.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

Westjet is quite popular up here. Friendly, good sense of humor (their inflight announcements would always crack me up, though I'm not sure they do them funny anymore), and I believe they don't overbook. Modern fleet.

Everybody loves to bash AC, and I've got a few stories of my own. I'm of mixed mind about AC and UA, and do prefer WS.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

Thanks. Perhaps I will give them a try.

100 Mile House...
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

WestJet is great...and they never overbook unlike Air Canada.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,644 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

We recently flew United from Vancouver, connecting in San Francisco to Hawaii. Of the three airlines you've mentioned, I'd put United at the very bottom of the heap.... until that trip, I didn't realize there were still "mainstream" big airlines that didn't have seat-back individual entertainment systems! And not that airline food is ever "good", but what we got on United was particularly bad. (But given the VERY cheap airfare deal we had, I'd fly with them again under similar circumstances.)

WestJet is popular because of their quirky and casual corporate culture. Many love to hate Air Canada, dating from when it was owned by the federal government (but it's now a publicly traded company). I've had hits and misses - and lost luggage LOL - with both. If WJ is cheaper and the schedule suits you, go with them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

I flew YVR to SFO direct via Alaska Airlines in 2008. Not sure if that's an option. WestJet, as others have said, is excellent. Air Canada is also good when flying between the US and Canada. Domestically, it can often be a step down from WestJet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,975 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

Yes, I was wondering about Alaska as well, but they often transit you through Seattle.

If you can collect United points with Air Canada, then those two are almost certainly a codeshare and the two flights will be on the same plane.

WestJet is great.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

+1 (or is it +5?) for WestJet. As has been said, they don't overbook. Also, their "add-on" costs are, at least for domestic flights (don't know about flights to the US), slightly lower than AC.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

I don't think most people who complain about Air Canada have spent much time flying domestically in the US. Either one should suit you just fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

Yes you can collect UA points off AC flights. Both are Star Alliance partners.

AC has movie on board, WJ TV's but WJ tends to be cheaper and add ons (e.g. Luggage) tend to be cheaper than AC. Depending on your Star Alliance status however bag fees could be waived by AC.

Alaska also flies to SFO as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airlines from SFO to YVR

Thanks. It seems that Alaska Airlines only has connecting service via Seattle. I have also considered flying SFO to SEA and staying there a few days and taking Amtrak to Vancouver. I haven't traveled by train since I was a child....so still looking into this option. Alaska flies SFO to SEA for $99 and I think the train fare ranges from about $30 to $60. The airfare from SFO to YVR is currently $164 on UA and AC - and $1 less on WJ.