We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving by Amtrak

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Topic
Arriving by Amtrak

We will need to rent a car once we arrive to the Amtrak station in Vancouver. I don't know where the terminal is or how difficult it will be to get to a car rental company. Of course I would like to have reservations before I arrive.

Please let me know if there are rental companies at the station or if I have to take a cab.

thanks

frank

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

Just a comment ...

If you're plans mean you will be immediately leaving the city, then a car is obviously the right choice. If, however, you plan to be in & tour the downtown area, a car is actually a hinderance (IMHO) and parking - including at your hotel - is costly.

If using local transit and/or walking is a potential issue, taxi fees are quite reasonable since the main downtown area is compact. Depending on your plans, likely you could get away with renting a car for only a portion of your trip.

Whichever way you handle the transport, hope you thoroughly enjoy Vancouver & surrounds! :-)

Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

I should have mentioned that I am staying with a friend (of a friend) not in the city center. So a car will be necssary for the daily commute although parking may turn out to be a hassel.

Once I unboard the train is there rental companies within walking distance? Will I need to rent a car at the airport?... Please help.

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

Here, at least, is a link to start you off ...

www.bcpassport.com/transportation/cars.html

Sorry :-( -- I haven't had to rent when visiting, so can't offer personal recommendations or advise which of the companies listed is closest to the train station.

I'm sure a Vancouverite will chime in - just have to give it a few more hours :-).

Cheers.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

There's a Hertz in the station itself-or was last I was there.

A number of other companies will pick you up including Enterprise who have an office nearby.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

If at all possible, you should look into public transit for your trips into the city. Vancouver's transit system is excellent, and once you are central the city is great on foot combined with transit. Of course, the friend of a friend you are staying with may be in a place where transit is not available easily, so my point may be moot. It is worth checking the transit system out though as a daily commute into Vancouver, plus parking issues, will be a pain. You could always rent a car from a suburban location for trips outside the city. www.translink.bc.ca

Vancouver
Level Contributor
281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

I agree that you'll be in a good spot for taking public transit, if you want to - a 10 minute trip and you'll walk off the Skytrain into the heart of downtown.

However if you'd like to rent a car, there is a Hertz at the train station - if you go to Hertz.ca, the location you want is called the "Via Rail" location, on Station Street in Vancouver.

There are always cabs waiting outside the train station as well.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

Just to clarify, the Hertz counter is right inside the train station.

8. Re: Arriving by Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 16, 2009