We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

I posted similar message at Vancouver forum, people suggested me to post my questions on road trip forum. Here are my message and questions:

We are planning to hire a car for 4 weeks In May/June from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, then drive down from West Coast to San Francisco, then via the Rockies back to Vancouver. We had a look some rental car websites, it appears there is limited on km (200 km/ day) outside the state and neighbouring states. Exceeding the limit, a charge will be applied.

We would like to know if we can hire a car with unlimited km no matter what state we drive to. We consider hire a car in USA like Seattle or San Francisco if we can hire an unlimited km car. We just have to alter our itinerary.

If we need to hire a car in SF or Seattle, can we return the car in different location or country (Vancouver).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

Here is the Road Trip Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,916 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

G'day Michelle,

You have posted on the Vancouver forum, so I would not expect you would receive any different replies to those you already have from your previous post on the BC forum. I would not hold out much hope for the Road Trips forum either as that is mainly focused on the US.

(Edit) Good morning Mufti. We were posting at the same time.

Edited: 9:29 am, October 31, 2013
3. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, October 31, 2013
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,003 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

Considering that the closest point given to Toronto in the OP's itinerary is over 3500 km away, I'm not sure that information is helpful at all. And considering Justin joined TA today and has posted the same car rental link in all three of his posts (including necro-posting on a year-old thread), it looks suspiciously like he is promoting a particular car rental agency.

Michele, there are some third party brokers or travel agencies that seem to be good and are frequently spoken well off in these forums, but before booking a car through a third party, I would strongly encourage you to do a google search on them. Most of the time when people post to complain about really bad experiences with rental cars, it's with these agencies, and usually the ones that claim to offer bargains. Also, one thing to consider, with an extensive road trip like yours - if you have any trouble with the vehicle along the way, the advantage to going with one of the major car rental companies is that they would have many offices along your route where a car could be exchanged for another if necessary.

5. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, November 19, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

More nonsense car rental "promotion' from a brand new poster posting on dead threads on multiple Forums.

Solicitation.

7. Re: Where to hire a unlimited km car for road trip

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 21, 2014