We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

I am perplexed by the difference in price for the round trip

Pacific Coach $116 +tax over 3 hours long trip

Greyhound S25.00 ROUNDTRIP! -2 hours (just called them and could not believe the price)

There must be a catch, so could you please help me to find it:

What are the disadvantages of traveling on Greyhound vs Pacific Coach?

How expensive and cumbersome is the trip from YVR to Pacific Central Station where the bus station is?

Are GH buses very uncomfortable or unsafe?

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

For that short route, Greyhound would be fine. You would need to take transport for 35 minutes to Pacific Central Station on the east edge of downtown Vancouver to catch it. It is a blue collar service, nothing wrong with the buses or drivers. Walk up service.

PCL can be caught at YVR, which is more convenient, walking just 5 min to the curb outside the terminal, for which you pay. (high rent area, lol). PCL is a cut above Greyhound. PCL make some stops at downtown hotels and very possibly a flag stop in Squamish before proceeding to Whistler. Reservations required.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

Greyhound has a (well deserved) very poor reputation here.

cbc.ca/news/…bc-greyhound-bus-impounded.html

Chicago
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

Thank you!

Is there direct connection between YVR and Pacific Central Station? If not, which station in downtown we need to transfer to to get to the GH bus stop? How much it will cost using public transportation to get there?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

You can take Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station, then transfer to the other skytrain station to one of Millenium Line or Expo Line to travel in the VCC-Clark direction or King George direction, respectively. Take the skytrain to Main Station, about 7 minutes? then walk across the grassy boulevard to Pacific Central Station.

I will assume you're coming before the end of the year, so on a weekday before 6h30 pm you will need $9 each. On weekdays after 6h30 and on weekends and holidays, you will need $7.75 to ride the skytrain. Cash or credit card on the platform. All the way on one ticket.

Here's a map that you can zoom in for better detail: http://goo.gl/maps/xEGxb

Or you can take a cab for about 40 minutes and about $40. In fact taxime.ca says $42.56 + tip. :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

Thank you! I've read more of posts re Greyhound and have not found any 'alarming' reviews; if SamSalmon has more info about why GH has poor reputation, I would appreciate if it could be shared here or in PM.

For now we are considering going with GH. Looks like if buying tickets via the phone, the price is two times less than 'advanced purchase' price on their website, AND, they have tickets for Express bus that is not available via the internet. Strange...

Have you heard about any problems with retrieving purchased via the phone tickets at the bus station?

How much taxi tips? How's the taxi line at the YVR around 11 am on Sat?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

All I know about Greyhound is that their buses and drivers do well. However, they have cut their staff, and therefore their service levels, to the bone and have very poor customer service. I have read other posts where people are waiting at a coach stop in a small town in very cold weather with no bus shelter and Greyhound not being able to tell them when the bus would arrive. Their coaches seem to be lost in the ether and not in communication with office staff so that they can provide customer service. They don't seem to have a very good system of taking care of their passengers from the office.

However, in Vancouver it is much more populated, the demand is greater so there is a full sized bus station, plenty of scheduled buses, a counter service and things go better. Whistler is a big destination too, so less chance of things going sideways.

There are always taxis at the taxi rank just outside the exit doors to the sidewalk, no problems there. As for taxi tips, I generally tip 15-20%, based on my idea of what good service means to me. I once tipped a cab driver nothing, because he did nothing. So perhaps the thing to do is have in your mind what you call good service and then rate the service you get against your criteria.

Edited: 3:09 pm, August 26, 2013
7. Re: Pacific Coach vs Greyhound bus for YVR to Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 28, 2014