We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

What would be the travel time in a taxi from Vancouver International Air terminal to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal? We land at 1.03pm on Friday 18th August, hopefully clear customs and immigration by 2pm and try to reach the ferry terminal for the 3.15pm service for Duke Point. Does this seem reasonable? I know that the ticket sales for the ferry finishes 10 min before departure. Would we need to pre-book our walk-on places (party of 6 adults) or would there be no problem with getting a seat? Is the cost $50 approx and do you tip taxis?

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

Hi carjilri

If you clear customs no later than 2.You should have no problem getting to the ferry on time,but it is a Friday afternoon and traffic could be bad.It is a tight schedule but if every thing works it is doable.As far I know you cannot book walk on and there should be no problem finding a seat somehwere although it will be crowded.Fifty dollars should easily cover taxi costs as far as tipping,some do and some dont,our taxis do not have the best repuation for friendly service and if they are not good dont tip.Hope this helps

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

You may make it but it's hard to say. Mapquest shows a driving time of 23 minutes from YVR to Tsawwassen, but there's no guarantee you will get through baggage claim and Customs quickly -- it really depends on how many other flights have come in around the same time as yours.

No need to pre-book as foot traffic on the ferry, and seating should not be a problem.

With 6 people with luggage you will probably have to take 2 cabs. Others on this forum would know if $50 per cab is reasonable. And yes, plan on tipping about 15% of the total fare.

3. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:25 pm, June 22, 2006
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

I'm sorry to disagree but Canadians and Brits have a reputation for not tipping. That is the custom. If you don't like the guy or he was rude tip a smaller amount. Please don't perpetuate the reputation some Canadians have of being poor tippers. By your use of the word Blokes I'm assuming your from the UK. What if we went to Britain and said we didn't want to pay the 'service charge'. If they are new immigrants, well at least they are working and not standing by the side of the street with a cardboard sign.

5. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:24 pm, June 22, 2006
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

I'm Canadian living in Seattle. Projecting your attitude onto visitors isn't really in the spirit of this board is it? If you don't want to tip so be it, but to advise others just seems foolish.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

Sam -

I've always wondered - are you so cranky because somebody found your shortcomings and laughed at it?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

The simple truth is that years-even decades-of abuse from local cad drivers had ground me down(!)

Canada
Level Contributor
267 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

I find the taxi service varies, some is excellent, some friendly, some know where they are going, some are quiet. What I care about: the seatbelts work, the driver listens to your route suggestions (you don't want a higher fare because they take the scenic route:)) and they drive safely. I can' remember having a dirty driver in many years so am not sure what the one poster meant by that.

I take taxis from the airport to home and reverse frequently and rarely encounter a bad taxi driver. Our friendly poster (Sam) who seems to have incredibly bad luck with taxis here apparently enjoys a different experience, but we can each only comment on what we 'know' from our own experience.

A friend of mine said it cost him $45 from Kitsilano to Tswassen ferry terminal last year so around $50 seems a little high since airport is closer to the terminal than Kitsilano, however it isn't that out of line. You might consider trying one of the limo or van service taxis at the airport since there are six of you with luggage. I don't really understand why people suggest two taxis as you then pay for the same trip twice and some of the other services may be economical and get you all there at the same time. I wonder if there is a bus service from the airport to the ferry terminal - try going to the BC Ferry terminal site and see if they have any links for the transport to/from ferries (I think they do but my memory isn't clear on what they are) As far as tipping, if the driver takes the direct route and doesn't try to increase the cost by driving the scenic route we usually do tip but a flat amount ($3-5 depending on distance and luggage)- I never base it on percentage. I also don't understand where the comment about Canadians not tipping comes from because that certainly isn't my experience-Most Canadians I know have trouble not tipping in countries where the tip is included or not the custom as they feel instinctively that they should -because they are used to doing so.

You are cutting it close for the ferry - any delays will ensure you miss the ferry. You might consider another route to Duke Point - for example when we can't make the direct to Saltspring ferry we opt to take the ferry to Schwartz Bay, then change to the Fulford Harbour ferry, and you might be able get to Duke point via that type of routing (the alternate to Saltspring can end up getting us there faster if the link from one ferry to the next isn't full :)

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time in a taxi from Vancouver I'nat air to Tsawwassen

Bad service ,no tip.I have had lots of rude cab rides at the airport and the city and few too many good ones.It is a service industry and it shouldnt be too much to ask for good freindly service and if that service isnt given nor should a tip